CaSSOA & Insurance

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello All,

Hope you all had a relaxing Easter break, I was on the M1 on Thursday p.m. on my way home & passed several outfits, maybe some of you...?

Meanwhile I've been exploring the crazy world of caravan insurance. What surprises me most are not the high premiums (the van is new so I expected this) but the fact that the van is to be kept on a Gold CaSSOA registered site and this doesn't appear to reduce insurance premiums, as is often claimed. The quote I received from the CC was one of the most expensive (!) & when I explained where the van was to be kept they told me it didn't make any difference - as did a couple of other insurers who advertise in PCV!

So is it worth paying over the odds to keep a van on a CaSSOA secure site rather than farmer's field type storage where the only security (apart from wheelclamp & hitchlock fited to the van) is a dodgy gate which is usually left open? Granted it may possibly be 'easier' to steal a van from this type of site but do the odds of this happening make it worth paying extra for CaSSOA storage?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We store at a CASSOA Gold site and the owner has linked up with two insurers who do offer the discount- maybe ask your site owner if they do similar?

To me the Gold charges are worth the money for the peace of mind it gives me over my pride and joy. My parents caravan was broken into on a farmers field! At the site we are at there are also clean toilets, hoses and brushes, hoovers etc and a great card entry scheme- worth the money alone in my book!

Mar 23, 2005
Visit site
I have to agree with Paul, whole-heartedly. We are on a CaSSOA Gold site and the security is second to none. They have approx 400 vans in storage and have never had an attempt at break-in or a theft in 25 years. That is the kind of peace of mind I like. The Caravan Club were the same for me as you - they don't care where you store as they say it could get stolen from a basic CL when you're away in it. My argument is that it sits in storage for 40+ weeks of the year so that must be the greatest risk if the storage has poor security. I insured with someone recommended by the storage site and got 20% reduction for the CaSSOA gold rating.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

Thanks for all your comments. I have now managed to get a more realistic insurance quote, where the Gold CaSSOA storage has made a difference to the quote. There is some competitive insurance out there - it's just a question of finding it!

Mar 31, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

Thanks for all your comments. I have now managed to get a more realistic insurance quote, where the Gold CaSSOA storage has made a difference to the quote. There is some competitive insurance out there - it's just a question of finding it!
hi,would you mind giving me the name of the lovely insurance people you found as you are right its mind boggling!!

thanks

john

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I must say that last year it appeared that some insurance companies were loading their premiums by up to 20% if you weren't storing your 'van on a CaSSOA site. When you're paying say

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts