Castlerigg Hall, Keswick, Lake District

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We're off this coming Sunday to Castlerigg Hall. Anyone got any views before we go?

From the brochure, it looks like a nice site in a great location with all the "bells and whistles" that we need/like.

Vic

Mar 17, 2005
Visit site
Vic,

we are booked in in June - I can't wait! We haven't been there before but have read very good reports on other websites. We have got pitch 21 booked I would be really grateful if you could check it out for me - I asked for quiet pitch with nice views. Please post a review when you return _ I'm really looking forward to hearing what you think of the site.

Have a safe journey and wonderful time

Lynne

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'll do that Lynne.

We specifically asked for one of the pitches pictured on the front cover of the brochure which turns out to be pitch number 1.

Just hoping for some better weather than that which we are currently enduring here in the South.

Vic

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'll do that Lynne.

We specifically asked for one of the pitches pictured on the front cover of the brochure which turns out to be pitch number 1.

Just hoping for some better weather than that which we are currently enduring here in the South.

Vic
Correction - that's pitch number 11 not 1.

Vic

Apr 3, 2005
Visit site
I'll do that Lynne.

Vic
Looks very nice, we are thinking of booking this for a weekend in May, please let us know what you thought of it.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Vic,

we are booked in in June - I can't wait! We haven't been there before but have read very good reports on other websites. We have got pitch 21 booked I would be really grateful if you could check it out for me - I asked for quiet pitch with nice views. Please post a review when you return _ I'm really looking forward to hearing what you think of the site.

Have a safe journey and wonderful time

Lynne
Lynne,

We had a smashing week at Castlerigg Hall. We certainly had the best of the weather last week.

The site has a 3 pennant rating from the AA and is located on the outskirts of Keswick just off the A591 Keswick to Ambleside road.

It is beautifully run site with plenty of good clean and pleasant smelling toilets and showers in two separate blocks. There is an on - site shop catering for basic needs with a small breakfast restaurant as well.

Pitches are a good size and in the main are fully serviced with a loose gravel surface.

These are the good things. The down side is that if you are in anyway challenged in the mobility department this could be a real problem. The site is situated on the side of quite a steep hill with most of the pitches being below the facilities area. As a sufferer of arthritis in both knees, I had real problems going up and down all the time.

The other "downer" is that there is only one chemical toilet disposal point for the entire site and it is extremely basic. This is located two thirds of the way down the hill and consists of an aluminium bowl/trough/sink but the odd thing about it is that the tap is not located over this - it's away to one side which makes the bowl difficult to clean after you've done the necessary. It also makes cleaning out your waste tank really quite difficult especially as there is no hose attached to the tap. Because of this, the ground surface around the area was very muddy all the time we were there. It's a shame because this would be so easy to remedy.

I have to say that the very best chemical toilet disposal points that I have ever encountered in 23 years of caravanning are at Sandy Balls - the bowl is at the right height, there is a tap fitted with a sensible length of hose and the taps run at mains pressure.

Anyway this is the only real criticism I have of Castlerigg.

Away from the site, expect high petrol and diesel costs(averagely 91.9p for diesel rising to a whopping 98.9p at Killington Services on the M6 southbound,Kendal. I have paid 86.9 this morning at a Shell garage down here in leafy Hertfordshire), expensive drinks in pubs - I was charged

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts