Caution #2

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Be aware that the security checks on ferries - in out case Brittany Portsmouth - Caen and return - have been tighned up considerably since our last trip coming home in April.
This last trip of 6 weeks ending yesterday saw carry-on baggage checked in detail after loading and before going to cabins causing considerable confusion as there were far too few checkers for the number of passengers and the return trip yesterday saw all vehicles checked on the French side and again at Portsmouth on arrival - why twice is anyone's guess.
All this adds considerable time and frustration and could be a problem if you have a tight schedule or someone needing medical attention, or needing to eat at a specific time.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
This has been happening since last June, I certainly don't mind it, and always have munchy bars and fruit in the car for us humans and the dogs.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
When we went on holiday this year we were subjected to a search , I had to lift my bonnet up so they could search the engine and boot and looked in at and around the caravan and customs women actually asked if they could have a look in our caravan as it was still brand new !!
On return from Holland we did not get checked but when we got back to North Shields once again we were subjected to a search , engine bay and inside the caravan . But the other year when we went to and from France when it was all kicking off all that happened was I was checked that my gas was off !! Didn't bother to check inside either end ?!?!

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I have been amazed at the lack of security on ferries and it is time they joined the rest of the travel industry. The only security check we have ever seen was a good few years ago at Plymouth when the underside of the first car on was checked with a mirror on a stick which was more a token gesture.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We’ve had regular checks at Dunkerque with UK Border Force looking inside the van, under lockers, front locker and underneath the van. Car has also been turned out once which didn’t amuse us or the dogs. But can’t really complain if that’s what it takes.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We’ve had regular checks at Dunkerque with UK Border Force looking inside the van, under lockers, front locker and underneath the van. Car has also been turned out once which didn’t amuse us or the dogs. But can’t really complain if that’s what it takes. But coming back from Rosslare was a joke both in Ireland and Pembroke.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
With you other clive Dunkerque has been great for inspections, woke the dogs up but more than happy for any inspections.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts