CC Hard Standings

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Is it just me or does anyone else agree that the Caravan Club should allow the pre-booking of hardstandings. We prefer to pitch our caravan and awning on hardstanding for a number of reasons, primarily less mud, mess, moisture and water when it rains. This is a particular issue with children constantly in and out of the caravan. Unfortunately, when we book a break at a CC site we cannot pre-book a hardstanding. We try and book at the sites that have a lot of hard standings but it is inevitably a lottery on arrival on the unfair basis that first arrived-first served (Definitely favouring the retired). So, I either have to take an afternoon off work to get there earlier or travel at a faster pace than I would ordinarily to try and get a hardstanding before they go. Obviously not the most relaxing start to a break as we travel in trepidation. Why can't hard standings be allocated on booking so enabling those who prefer them to reserve on booking. This would afford the opportunity to inform prospective visitors in advance whether they'd be able to have a hardstanding. Having a hardstanding really does make a difference to our break and if we knew we couldn't get one in advance then we would look to an alternative CC site for a break which could guarantee one. So why can't they do it.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I can see your point and some CC sites do allocate pitches and would presumably save a specific one for you if you explained your situation when booking. I know some strictly adhere to the "freedom of choice on arrival" principal (e.g. Broadway) and it would be difficult for them to make exceptions as everyone would then want to pre-book specific pitches. It is also astonishing how many members pre-book and then don't turn up.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Mary - I appreciate that some people prefer grass pitches and I'm not advocating an all hard standing approach for the CC. I'm just trying to make a point for pre-booking hardstandings where they exist on a site. Likewise - I'm sure you'd prefer if you could pre-book a grass pitch.

Barney - so you've collated the opinion of the entire caravanning world previously on this subject have you and this has enabled you to conclude that it's just me then?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Dave, Whilst your suggestion to pre-book looks logical at first, consider this; You turn up at your chosen CC site to find your pre booked pitch is under some trees/permanently in shade/furthest away from facilities, etc,etc and as everyone has prebooked your stuck with it. There may be some problems with the first come, first served system, but I can't think of a better or fairer one. I also prefer hardstandings, but accept that these are not always available when I arrive, to which I have a simple solution - I ask the wardens if anyone is leaving the next day and simply move pitches when a hardstanding becomes free.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
i agree,those who book in advance should have the choice.typically someone who turns up on spec probably gets the hardstanding pitch and those who book in advance get the muddy pitch

Mar 27, 2005
Visit site
both types of pitch have their pros and cons and i see both points of view.personally , if the weathers set fair id like to be on grass and i do prefer the look of an all grass site.BUT, with our wonderfully unpredictable weather i see the benefit of hardstanding , it certainly keeps your van interior a bit more respectable which in bad weather with kids is a godsend.Must admit to having no problem with the way CC sites allocate the pitches , last site we went on we were invited to walk the site and pick a pitch.Dunno if they all operate this system but i was impressed with this site (lower wensleydale)

Apr 6, 2005
Visit site
Re caravan and camping club and booked pitches, have you noticed that people are booking maximum period that is allowed then going of for one night and then back same pitch for another lengthy stay,does this give anyone else a chance, so I would say good luck to the caravan club for their policy, and by the way it does not favour the retired.

There is another answer if you dont like the policy dont use their sites there are plenty of other good ones around

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The CC should not under any circumstances change the rules to suit some individuals when the rule is made for the majority.

I have had the experience of arriving at a site where certain pitches have been reserved for friends to be together etc. etc. etc. The wardens do not want the hassle and confrontation of giving a member an explanation why he cannot have an vacant pitch on arrival, so the rule was born that first come first served.

with regard to the insulting remark that retired people get the choice of pitch remember that you are in the queue of life like everyone else and will one day soon be one of the retired.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As a CC member, agree with 1st come 1st served. I am not retired and work full time. You take the rough with the smooth and if you are lucky enough to get a hard standing all the better, if not go on grass.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I agree.

Whilst I much prefer grass pitches if the conditions are good, I would like to be able to pre-book a hardstanding when I feel I might need one - e.g. for low season stays.

Yesterday I had a call from the Caravan Club site at Cirencester Park. They were advising me that they had suffered adverse weather and that there would be strong demand for hardstandings this Friday, which will only be available to those arriving earliest.

Since I can't set off until the school kicks out on Friday, this call really just gave me extra stress by implying that I need to race to the site on Friday.

I booked the site back in December, on the day the booking lines opened, and was disappointed that I couldn't reserve a hardstanding at the time. Now, instead of being first in the queue for one, I am going to be last!!

In future, I will book CC&C sites if I feel it is important to pre-book a hardstanding.

Apr 27, 2005
Visit site
As a CC member, agree with 1st come 1st served. I am not retired and work full time. You take the rough with the smooth and if you are lucky enough to get a hard standing all the better, if not go on grass.
Glad that someone else is happy with the Caravan Club policy of not pre booking pitches as the person who wrote into this months Practical mag. moaning that the club does not allow him to put his car on the next pitch for his friends who will arrive later is being very selfish. If there is only one decent hardstanding pitch left why should it be saved till later in the evening and other caravans not get the choice.

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Just returned from a very wet 4 days at Cannock Chase 3c's site.Total pitches: 60, Hard Standings: about 6, Maximum Number of usable pitches at one time this season: about 25. We are constantly told of pitch shortages, could this be the reason. No one wants to see sites that resemble a car park, but this is the UK not the South of France, and if sites of all colours want to prosper, then, when the need arises the maximum number of units must be catered for. Try getting a booking for Moreton in Marsh CC site (mainly all hard standing)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
both types of pitch have their pros and cons and i see both points of view.personally , if the weathers set fair id like to be on grass and i do prefer the look of an all grass site.BUT, with our wonderfully unpredictable weather i see the benefit of hardstanding , it certainly keeps your van interior a bit more respectable which in bad weather with kids is a godsend.Must admit to having no problem with the way CC sites allocate the pitches , last site we went on we were invited to walk the site and pick a pitch.Dunno if they all operate this system but i was impressed with this site (lower wensleydale)
Only ever used cc sites always have a walk or drive around to pick the best pitch available .The motorcaravan brigade always use the hard standing pitches .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts