CCC & CC do you think it's time they :-

Jun 18, 2008
Visit site
got together & made a program that you could download to your sat nav with routes for caravans . The cost could be off set by private parks paying to be included on it. What do you think ?

KnL

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Not being a techie I don't know how viable it would be to put together for compatibility with all the plug in, after market and factory fit units that ae available, but what an excellent idea in principle.

The Clubs are in the perfect position to influence programmers with suitable towing routes, scenic routes and of course they have access to the locations of all Club sites & CL's etc, which means all the directions held in the Clubs sites books could be programmed in.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Sounds sensible and more constructive than the Club's warning people not to use SatNav in the locality of their sites.

However it will all come down to cost and if more than a very few pounds I doubt it will have many takers.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
There are some web sites already offering a free download of POI relating to CC sites and all their CLs. Not sure about commercial sites. I have had the CC sites downloaded into my TomTom and have had this for the past three years. Not bothered with C & CC sites.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
As far as CC goes, the caravan recommended route is published for EVERY club site and EVERY CL in the Sites Directory which goes to EVERY member.

Many of us don't trust or simply don't use sat nav - we wouldn't want our membership fees used for that - commercial sites are in direct competition with CC club sites so I doubt they'd pay for it.

Aug 14, 2006
Visit site
I think it is a great idea for the cc and the c&cc to come up with a progam for sat navs as i feel we must move with the times and not always be looked at as dinosaurs

Jan 31, 2008
Visit site
I have the POI's for the CC and C&CC sites for my Sat Nav too but these only show you where the sites are.

I think the original topic was about them coming up with a mapping system for routes to the sites for caravans, not POI's ;-)

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
I use SatNav frequently for finding clients in my job, and it saves me hours every month but I also understand its limitations, especially those that can affect caravanners as it can easily direct you along roads with grass growing through the tarmac! This is most likely to happen close to your destination making the last few miles before an unfamiliar site the most difficult and hair raising.

So, when I am planning a caravan trip, I look at the site's location on one of the on-line maps (Google etc) in conjunction with the directions provided by the club directory so I can actually see the best approach route to the site.

I then use the route planning facility (setting vias) in my Tom Tom to manually control the most suitable route so when I'm driving the SatNav uses my chosen route.

I also have a print out of the route with me in the car just in case. This makes the best use of modern tech whilst remaining in control of the route planning.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts