CD Player but need MP3 !!

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
My Bailey Senator 2002 has a nice Panasonic CD / radio fited. However, as I now 'rip' my CDs to MP3 (I can get 6 original CDs onto a single CD now!), I need a way of 'transmitting' the output from my portable'walkman' MP3 player to the Panasonic player installed in the caravan.

A month or so ago I purchased a gadget which claimed to do the job; input from walkman (etc) and output on FM radio frequencies from 88.0 --> 89.0 FM. Sounded brilliant. I parted with £17 or so. It arrived; it is pathetic and has a signal so low I can barely pick it up from the 'hiss'.

Whilst I recognise that these units are not legal for use in UK; has anyone some experience of ones that work; perhaps below 88 Mhz or around 107 Mhz. The problem with 88 Mhz is that BBC radio 2 comes in and blasts the ferquencies all around it.

A friend of mine bought something for his Applie iPod which was VERY impressive and transmitted a strong signal such that, from around 20 feet away it was loud and clear through my FM stero music centre tuned into around 87.6 or so.

Any ideas please?

John

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
John,

I assume that the Panasonic does not have an auxiliary input so that you could directly connect the MP3 player with a lead?

From your posting I understand that you bought a FM Modulator, this should have a piggy back lead that plugs into the Panasonic radio aerial - Take a look at the Maplin web-site (www.maplin.co.uk) for their FM Modulator - which shows how the unit plugs into the radio aerial lead.

Does your MP3 player have a "Line Out" or are making the link via the headphone output? "Line out" gives a higher level output meant for interconnecting devices.

The headphone output is often so low that the other device can't amplify the signal high enough.

Robert.

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Robert :

You wrote :

I assume that the Panasonic does not have an auxiliary input so

that you could directly connect the MP3 player with a lead?

No, none that I can see; just a nice CD play and FM radio.

From your posting I understand that you bought a FM Modulator,

this should have a piggy back lead that plugs into the Panasonic radio aerial

Take a look at the Maplin web-site (www.maplin.co.uk) for their FM Modulator - which

shows how the unit plugs into the radio aerial lead.

The 'aerial' is a simple length of thin wire. I think we need to forget the trash that I bought for

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
John,

I've just checked the local FM broadcast stations - clear above 104.5 and quiet as a mouse above 106 - appart from the noise from the computer.

So the Ramsey kit looks more than OK - or you could always buy a CD / Radio that plays MP3 disks or has an auxillary input.

Robert

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
John,

You could also look at the Velleman kits http://www.velleman.be/ which have the advantage of being legal throughout Europe.

Take a look at CARDVDM

Robert

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Robert; thanks for being so helpful. yes seems a good device but restricted to two pre-set frequencies below 88 MHz; I was unable to find a price but I can contact the UK distributor. However, as you say, above around 104.5 it's clear until a single loud station comes in at 107.9 (at least here in Kent!).

No I won't buy another MP3 unit etc, I want to crack this one !!

Thanks

John

Aug 21, 2005
Visit site
Would it not be easier to buy a new (or ebay) head unit that will play mp3 cd's?

You panasonic will probably (but check) have standard ISO connectors on the back of it. If so just buy a new head unit, wil just plug in and away you go. You can then sell your panasonic yourself on ebay which will help with the price.

Steve

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Stephen : A head unit? It has a removable front - presumably for security purposes. I guess the enture unit can easily be removed and replaced; which I guess is what you are suggesting? OK, perhaos this is much cheaper than spending around

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
OK have ordered one of each kind (same ands yours + another that charges internal batteries); if I get them for a few quid each it'll be worth it to compare and select the better of the two! Thanks

John

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi John, I too am into Mp3 tracks as I can play them on the car DVD player, and they take up less space. In order to play them in the caravan I use my portable DVD player which I connect to the van CD player via a long "Auxilliary line-in" extension plugged into the rear of the Cd player. This then connects to "line-out" of the DVD player. I can now play DVD's and Mp3 tracks through the caravan system - fantastic sound. I can also play the TV through the caravan system using the same extension wire - Surround Sound in a caravan - brill! The extension wire was easily routed through locker boxes etc as it is quite thin - worth all the effort.

If this interests you check the rear of your caravan head unit (or manual) to see if it is possible to insert an auxilliary line in, then check the internet for appropriate hi-fi cables/components and bobs your uncle.

Hope this is of some use.

Next job - install "subwoofer" (only jocking folks, although it is possible)!

John

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
ohn; sounds like you're like me; I rip all my Cds and easily get 6 original CDs onto a single CD; I was ripping at 256 but now find that 128 is sufficient; this is hardly serious Hi-i !

Question: What is the 'head' unit? I have a removable front to the Panasonic (I presume for security reasons) but when we say the 'head unit' what to we mean; the entire 'car radio' unit surely?

John

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
ohn; sounds like you're like me; I rip all my Cds and easily get 6 original CDs onto a single CD; I was ripping at 256 but now find that 128 is sufficient; this is hardly serious Hi-i !

Question: What is the 'head' unit? I have a removable front to the Panasonic (I presume for security reasons) but when we say the 'head unit' what to we mean; the entire 'car radio' unit surely?

John
Hi John - by head unit I mean the whole of the player. You may need special tools for this - most available from Halfords if you haven't got yours. Its sometimes hard to tell - when looking at the rear of your unit - as to whether or not your unit will accept an "auxilliary line-in". My instruction manual (blaupunkt) was very good in this respect and the actual cable was very inexpensive off the internet. The best thing to do is to have a 3.5mm phono jack - male or female - at the other end of the wire. Extensions for this are easy to find.

Best of luck

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Chrisw : Brilliant; I received it today and for around 2p + postage (!!) it really works and it's not bad. I have to turn up the volume quite high but it certainly does what it says. Thanks fir the tip !! Great Christmas Cracker gift :)

John

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Chrisw : Brilliant; I received it today and for around 2p + postage (!!) it really works and it's not bad. I have to turn up the volume quite high but it certainly does what it says. Thanks fir the tip !! Great Christmas Cracker gift :)

John
Glad it works. Did you get the battery powered version as well and does that work ok?

Chris.

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Chris W, well yes the re-charegable unit works as well as the one you have bought. However, whilst these units both work well in the car, I tried them in the caravan for the first time today. I thought that by siting the FM transmitted imemdiatelt below the aerial (omni directional Status thing) that it would worl fine. WRONG! Ther was consuiderable background hiss; in a way that simply wasn't prersent when used in the car ...

Thoughts?

John

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts