CD/Radio Fitting

Jun 12, 2005
Visit site
I have 2002 Sterling Europa 460 Iam about to fit a cd/radio but am having a problem with the two wires that hang down in the top cupboard according to the book they should be white&orange and yellow&red but the wires I have are 2xorange&white 1x yellow&white what i need to know is what one should i connect to the earth of the radio

many thanks

Ron

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Ron,

If you have a AVO meter this should be pretty easy to sort out. You need to establish which of the wires is the 12v power supply and which is the earth.This should not be a problem but make sure its not a stray 230v cable. From what you have said this should not be the case as the colour coding does not match general mains colours, e.g brown or red 230v live. If you do not have a AVO meter a simple 12v tester will do the job or a 12v bulb in a bulb holder with two leads and croc clips will solve your problem.

Any other problems just send a post

Rob

Jun 12, 2005
Visit site
Thanks very much Rob one other thing is it best to fit an aerial on the out side of the van or is it ok to connect to my status booster box.

thanks Ron

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You can use the Status for FM reception but if you want AM you will need another aerial.

I have found that the boosted aerials interfere on AM so I would go for a conventional telescopic type again.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Ron,

Yep the telescopic version is the best,but you normally have to drill the outside of the van and with it being a 2002 van I personally would not go down that route. Contact Maplins Electronics as they are very helpful and have a vast range of bits and bobs to meet most needs. My CD unit is plugged in via the Status unit and reception on FM is good, but AM is pretty dire,try listining to 909 live football commentry and when the wife switches on the water pump and static rules. If Maplins or the likes do something that is suitable which is located in the van without drilling the exterior be aware of location as vans are renowned as 12v electrics are rarely suppressed against static. A matter of trial and error prior to full aerial installation. As for your two orange and white leads they may both be live, don't worry as all you need to do is wire one to the constant live and one to the accessory live for the cd unit. The constant live is to maintain the tuning memory of the CD and the other to power the unit. Unless you have a constant 12v supply to the van e.g you do not disconnect the battery or the mains you will not lose your tuning presets, but if like me you have to remove the battery while in storage you will lose your presets.

Good Luck

(p.s did you run your aerial lead to the status FM input and was the status switched on)

Rob

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You are getting interference via the 12V which is what I got using the "Ring" boosted aerial. Even with a filter AM reception was poor with the 12V connected.

That is why I would go for a telescopic aerial with 2 side fixings as I have had good results with these in the past

The new Senator came complete with a CD/FM/AM Radio but only connected to the Directional Status aerial which again is not good for AM.

I will probably fit a conventional aerial as all the other mods are nearly completed!!!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts