Central Heating Boiler

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Hi.Wonder if anyone could help.
Have just purchased and had installed a new home central heating boiler(Potterton).
I was after recommendations for a reputable company to set up breakdown cover for the new boiler.
Ive seen many adverts for cover around the price we would be prepared to pay (£10-£15 per month).
Its just the boiler I wanted cover for and as its brand new,how soon would I have to start the cover from.....now...or when the manafacturers guarantee expires(2 years).
Many thanks
Adrian

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Thank you Sproket.
I did have a browse at this,but was hoping for anyone who has had past experience (good or bad) with various companies.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
GeorgeandAde said:
Hi.Wonder if anyone could help.
Have just purchased and had installed a new home central heating boiler(Potterton).
I was after recommendations for a reputable company to set up breakdown cover for the new boiler.
Ive seen many adverts for cover around the price we would be prepared to pay (£10-£15 per month).
Its just the boiler I wanted cover for and as its brand new,how soon would I have to start the cover from.....now...or when the manafacturers guarantee expires(2 years).
Many thanks
Adrian

You are covered by the Sale of Goods Act for 6 years so most covers are not worth the money you pay for them. However if you are still concerned, start it after the 2 years warranty has expired. From reading on numerous forums avoid anything to do with BGAS, however I am sure someone can advise on a good cover from a reputable company.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Surfer said:
........... I am sure someone can advise on a good cover from a reputable company.

As the forum is not a registerd financial adviser or insurance broker, then all you can take from it are opinions from the individuals offering the suggestion. It is in your own interests that you do your own homework or use a registerd advisor before taking out cover.

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
We've tended to use British Gas over the years and been generally happy with them. The current boiler was installed a few years ago by a local company, so we used their 2 year warranty and then went back to BG after the 2 years. About 20 years ago we had one of the first condencing boilers installed and it was a bit of a lemon. After a couple of months the thermostat failed (on Boxing Day) so we called out BG and the service chap went and nicked the spare that the Area Manager had and fitted into our bolier the same day. Over the next few years we called out BG approx 4 or 5 times a year due to failures, mainly the circuit board getting wet and failing, due to a leak that couldn't be found. In the 5th year the manufacturer came and completely stripped the whole boiler apart and found the problem - the two halves of the aluminium boiler casting had a crack in the welding causing the manifold to pull apart slightly and leak. A new boiler casting was fitted and at no time were we charged for excess callouts or the new casting. On each callout BG were pretty prompt, and could usually get the part shipped within 24 hours.

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
Potterton do a fixed price repair including all parts and labour except main heat exchanger I think current price is £260 inc Vat so imo it is not worth paying each year for something you may not need.Basic cover is around £15 a month so you can see if you aside this and boiler goes OK for 5 years you are quids in.Also check the model as some Pottertons are 5,7 even 10 years warranty as long as they are serviced by any gassafe engineer.I have just fitted a potterton titanium in a bungalow we rent out with a 7 year warranty (I am gassafe registered by the way)

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
[/quote]

You are covered by the Sale of Goods Act for 6 years so most covers are not worth the money you pay for them. However if you are still concerned, start it after the 2 years warranty has expired. From reading on numerous forums avoid anything to do with BGAS, however I am sure someone can advise on a good cover from a reputable company.
[/quote]

The problem I see with using SOGA is that after the two years you would
have to prove it was due to the manufacturer or installer.By the time
you had found an expert whose credentials would be accepted by a court
and paid him for a report then got whoever you thought was the culprit
into court you could have hypothermia.Google potterton suprima PCB and
you will find loads of problems,even Watchdog had a program on it and as
far as I am aware Potterton never paid out to anyone who hadnt got a
maaintenance contract with them

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Thank you for all your help.
I have already done some homework regarding cover,but it was helpful to hear some of your opinions.
Thanks again.
Adrian

TRENDING THREADS