Central Heating CoverPlans

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
My daughter would like to get cover for her central heating and gas boiler as it's now out of warranty. I don't have a heating system so a little out of touch with who and what to look for.

Just the system not complete home care.

Any suggestions welcome please but preferably those you've had to call out and your experience with them.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
For years we have had British Gas Homecare in our house and the daughter's house. We had basic system cover including controls. For our daughters we have System cover, electrics, drains etc and Landlords Safety Certificate. Whilst I moan about BG Energy and their website (Much improved now) we have always found the Homecare very good and responsive. Daughter had leak from the bathroom early on Xmas Eve 2022 and Dynorod were around that afternoon doing temporary fix and they came back after Xmas for the full repair. She also has a neighbour who complains about the noise from the daughters CH and BG have replaced burner, fan and pump over the last 12 months and the technicians said that her Baxi boiler was actually one of the quieter ones. They are also good on the service dates for daughters as it involves a Landlords Safety Certificate. So appointments don't drift right. For ours I am quite relaxed .

We changed to a local CH business in March 2023 as they were cheaper than BG, but did not work weekends. Prior to taking on our system the pre check found that the valve the sleets heating or hot water had stem leak and they could not cover it. So I just phoned BG and a technician was out within a few days and replaced the complete valve unit all done a few days before cover expired. But the commercial company service engineer wasn't very thorough and didn't clean out the magnetic filter. So when it came to renew we got quote from BG and are now back with Homecare, and the service was carried out within three weeks of the new policy starting.

BG can be a bit flexible over service dates in winter (especially Jan-Feb) as they designate staff for cold weather repairs in preference to servicing. But for our house its never bothered me.

So overall we are quite satisfied with BG Homecare. No need to fund repairs upfront like on some policy covers.

Last edited:

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for the reply.

Many moons ago when we needed cover BG was our provider and they were very good. They're at the top of our list do far.

Thanks

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
We have been with BG for decades. Never let us down and no quibbles. Two houses back they even supplied a brand new boiler when the original couldn't be repaired

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
What we found was that a new sign up to BG or Homeserve ( who seem to be the two bigger players) resulted in quite a cheap initial deal. However it then jumped up on renewal. Whichever she chooses, tell her to jump ship to a different one in year 2.
Mel

Reactions: Sam Vimes
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We also been with British Gas HomeCare Three that includes a boiler service , controls and central heating when we brought our bungalow some years ago we wanted the drains also included as well as plumbing . So far this year they have been out we had a blocked drain .
We paid the excess like what someone else says we have found them quite good .

Reactions: Dustydog

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts