Change battery on 2016 Santa fe

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Hi.
I think it may be time for a battery change on the Santa fe.
Sometimes it seems a little sluggish to turn over.
Its now just over 4 years old so it may be about time.
Apart from the radio code,(although I don't currently have the code),is it just a question of swapping new for old?

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi.
I think it may be time for a battery change on the Santa fe.
Sometimes it seems a little sluggish to turn over.
Its now just over 4 years old so it may be about time.
Apart from the radio code,(although I don't currently have the code),is it just a question of swapping new for old?

Yes and if you obtain battery from a local source they should have the piece of kit to retain your radio code

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
When we changed ours on our Santa Fe the only concern from the supplier was whether the car was a stop/start model apparently a stronger battery is needed for them,fortunately ours is not stop/stsrt and it was a straight swap and everything worked fine afterwards

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Thank you...very informative.
Ours is the stop/start model so will bear that in mind.
I didn't realise that there was a "piece of kit"to retain code.What actually is it?.
Do you mean if its supplied and fitted by main dealer?
I've read that the radio has to be removed to access the serial number and then contact Hyundai to get the code.🤔

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Stop / Start batteries often need coding to the cars ECU (a separate issue to the radio!)

I found Halfords were cheaper than ECP for a stop start battery - plus they can fit it and code (if required)

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thank you...very informative.
Ours is the stop/start model so will bear that in mind.
I didn't realise that there was a "piece of kit"to retain code.What actually is it?.
Do you mean if its supplied and fitted by main dealer?
I've read that the radio has to be removed to access the serial number and then contact Hyundai to get the code.🤔
The bit of kit I referred to keeps 12 v on the system at very low current which is enough to keep the radio coded. A garage/outlet that replaces a stop start battery will doubtless be able to ensure the radio coding is retained.

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
Just changed mine on exactly the same car, 66 plate Santa Fe stop/start, auto. Mine was getting a bit sluggish turning over. It's an AGM battery. No problems removing it from car, no radio code, no recoding, everything worked as it should after replacement. I got this one, S5 A13 Bosch AGM Car Battery 12V 95Ah Type 019 S5A13, online from Tayna batteries at £182 incl. delivery.
Mike

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Thats good news Mikey.
I'm not sure if I would like to take the chance of fitting myself and things not working and radio not working.
Halfords seem to have the same AGM battery and with fitting,its £211.
I may go down the Halfords route for peace of mind.
Thank you anyway.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
If the radio is coded into the engine management unit then it will not need recoding - the EMU memory concerned is non volatile. It only needs recoding if the EMU or the radio is changed.

Many/most cars do it this way these days.

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
I had similar concerns but,after talking to the garage I use, I changed it myself and as I said no problems whatsoever.
Do you get a decent warranty from Halfords? Tayna is 5 years.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thats good news Mikey.
I'm not sure if I would like to take the chance of fitting myself and things not working and radio not working.
Halfords seem to have the same AGM battery and with fitting,its £211.
I may go down the Halfords route for peace of mind.
Thank you anyway.
Good decision and so much easier if you should have a battery problem during the guarantee period. I know the likelihood is quite low but it happened to me and to say the least it was damned difficult to get a satisfactory outcome. And I was still £25 out of pocket at the end.

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
There’s been a lot on here about returning batteries that have been a real problem returning, I’ve never been in the position but people on here have.

BP

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Our car is a stop and start model and like you i would not do it myself take it to Halfords let them do it for a peace of mind

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
Just checked Halfords and it's not actually the same battery, it's not Bosch but Halfords own make.
Hopefully I won't get any issues but I've had Bosch for many years and never had a warranty claim so happy to buy online.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
There’s been a lot on here about returning batteries that have been a real problem returning, I’ve never been in the position but people on here have.

BP
I have written lots about my difficulties when the battery went faulty. Firstly the online supplier would not accept the problem, referring me to the maker. Obviously I got nowhere there but went along with it. Going back to the supplier i eventually lost patience and read them my rights as a customer and told them I would use the Small Claim Court. They then agreed to supply a replacement battery once I’d returned mine. A used battery is classed as hazardous waste and requires a licensed carrier. They don’t tend to do long trips as they cover local areas. DPD, DHL etc don’t transport used batteries. I explained the transport problem and they suggested I could take it back. Much as I’d have liked a trip to North Wales I rejected that one. So on payment of £25 I got the new one and the defective one transported. Never again for a few quid saving. I don’t buy batteries very often so prefer a quiet life.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Just checked Halfords and it's not actually the same battery, it's not Bosch but Halfords own make.
Hopefully I won't get any issues but I've had Bosch for many years and never had a warranty claim so happy to buy online.

No such thing as 'Halford's own make' - they are all badged batteries from other (often well known) manufacturers. They used to do a 110Ah leisure battery with a smooth case which was a Bosch, and the still do a 115Ah with ridges on the case (HLB681) which is a Yuasa.

Just be careful to get a battery with the terminals the 'right way round' or you may not be able to connect it!

Reactions: otherclive
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
No such thing as 'Halford's own make' - they are all badged batteries from other (often well known) manufacturers. They used to do a 110Ah leisure battery with a smooth case which was a Bosch, and the still do a 115Ah with ridges on the case (HLB681) which is a Yuasa.

Just be careful to get a battery with the terminals the 'right way round' or you may not be able to connect it!
Most batteries are made by Johnson Controls regardless of their eventual branding - even the big well-known brands.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Changed the battery on my daughters Honda which had stop start and as she was thinking of changing it soon and used an ordinary battery. She changed her plans and it ran for about three years, although it was wise to turn off that feature when she had to drive through heavy traffic to get to work for several weeks. Provided you do not have a lot of stop start driving, the ordinary one may be all you need.

Reactions: GeorgeandAde
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Just looked in my Handbook for the 2014 Sante Fe, and under battery, chapter 7, pg 182, it states if you disconnect the battery for extended non use, on reconnection, Reset windows and service counter. . There is no code for the infortainment system. ( The cars radio and sat Nav system. ).

Reactions: GeorgeandAde

TRENDING THREADS