Changes to UK driving licences

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Lizzie,

Thank you for the timely update concerning the loss of the paper counterpart

You are correct that the Cat B element is very restrictive, but I think it might have been wiser to use the language of the licences MAM rather than the Gross Vehicle Weight, and to mention the second change in 2013 where the 1997 restriction of the trailers MAM not exceeding the tow cars ULW was dropped.

Drivers should also be reminded that the limitations that were in force when they passed their test remain with them even if the category is subsequently changed as in 2013. So 1997 drivers must still observe the limits imposed at that time.

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
But don't discard it entirely.
It seems that folks are being asked for it when hiring a car in foreign places.
And I expect the police in foreign parts to be uncertain of change, and continue to ask for additional evidence of driving licence.
Keep it in with travel documents.

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Pedr01800 said:
But don't discard it entirely.
It seems that folks are being asked for it when hiring a car in foreign places.
And I expect the police in foreign parts to be uncertain of change, and continue to ask for additional evidence of driving licence.
Keep it in with travel documents.
the paper part of a photo licence will have no legal merit after june the 8th..After 8 June holidaymakers will have to log on to the DVLA website the day before they leave and input their driving licence number and national insurance number. The system will then generate a one-time passcode which the holidaymaker can give to the hire company when they arrive at the desk.

The code is only valid for 72 hours, which will mean that holidaymakers hiring a car in the second week of a foreign trip face having to find an internet cafe and log on abroad, or pay roaming charges, if they want to show the car hirer their record. If they fail to produce the online code, the car hire firm may call the DVLA’s premium rate line (charged at up to £3 a minute) to check the driver’s status – if they can get through. ..
mind blowing really

Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
Why is the UK making life difficult? I have a French driving licence (similar to the photocard UK one) and when I hire a car in another country (such as the UK or the USA) I just show them my licence. No questions asked - simple, no special code etc.

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
It would seem to me that it's the other way around. In the UK if they just look at your plastic French licence they wouldn't know about any endorsements. It appears foreign car hire companies are more interested in endorsements on UK licences if they need paper parts/DVLA codes etc. and don't just accept the photocard.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts