Changing front locker catches

pmb

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Wonder if anyone else has done this? They are the ones that the locks locate behind when the key is turned. The plastic has broken on both (£5 each for a 2p bit of plastic!) They are rivetted in so it looks like drill them out. With the new ones in place it looks difficult to get the new rivets in from the front so I'm interested if anyone has been there done that. It's a 99 Sterling btw.

Mar 21, 2008
Visit site
Without seeing the caravan it's difficult to hazard a guess!

If you can get a drill in to drill out the old rivets, why can't you get a rivet gun in to re-rivet?

Feb 24, 2017
Visit site
Hi There - I have a similar challenge with my swift major 6. I've received the spare part and I'm thinking of using nuts and bolts instead of another rivet. I guess my question is have you managed to remove the existing rivets and if you did could you please share the method. I don't want to use brute force and ignorance and potentially break the locker.
Best Regards JT

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
tayloj2393 said:
Hi There - I have a similar challenge with my swift major 6. I've received the spare part and I'm thinking of using nuts and bolts instead of another rivet. I guess my question is have you managed to remove the existing rivets and if you did could you please share the method. I don't want to use brute force and ignorance and potentially break the locker.
Best Regards JT

Hi JT this thread is over 10 months old so they have probably done the repair long ago, but never fear, you can drill the rivets out, cant see a problem with replacing with nuts and bolts if you havent a rivet gun. Maybe use lock nuts to stop them undoing, One thing springs to mind is there enough room inside for the nuts, will they obstruct the locking mechinism in anyway?

pmb

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Can't remember how I got the rivets out but it was fairly easy I think. The problem I had was that the rivet gun could only be used from the rear and left the catch a bit loose. Been to have a look at it this am and one rivet has failed so may have another go.
The other other side I used nuts and bolts as it seemed easier.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts