Changing gas regulators

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Due to arthritis both of us have great difficulty changing over the propane Calor lite gas cylinders as it involves using a spanner each time. We would like to swap to the MacGas which has a clip on type adapator.
I have been told that as I am registered disabled and the reason why I am changing the regulator is due to my disability, I can submit a form and I do not have to pay VAT for the new fittings. I am not sure if it extends to the bottles. Does any one know if this is correct as I did something similar when I bought my mobility scooter and did not have to pay VAT?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As far as i know, the VAT relief for registered disabled might only apply if you purchased the gas cylinder. It would not cover the VAT element on the gas it contains.

I am not familiar with the MacGas brand so I don't know if you own the bottle or rent it like Calor gas. If the bottle is rented then again i don't believe the VAT can be reclaimed.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Sproket said:
Have you thought about just changing the pigtail to one that has a handwheel & requires very little effort to use, that way you keep your lightweight bottles.......
You can buy spare pol washers for the ends......

The pigtail may do the job as long as it is accessible because of the flanges on top of the gas bottles. Maybe something to look for when going to NEC show. That and mirrors unless someone has a spare set of thread screws for Pyramid mirrors!

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Willi-Wonti said:
Gaslow do pigtails with large thumb wheels
I have the metal braided type that are guaranteed if I remember correctly 20 years

Thanks Sprocket also suggested it and I think it may be the way forward for us. I think we may pay the extra and go for the stainless steel one. Hopefully it will just screw on where the other fitted and no adaptors. Not sure what the POl rubbers would be used for?

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
On the thumb wheel connectors there is a rubber seal to safeguard against losing gas.Have to be changed occasonally although ours has been in place for nearly 3 years with no problems.Highly reccomended

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
This is what happens to the rubber pol when not connected to a bottle over winter..
smiley-surprised.gif

Caravanaccesories094_zps948e5857.jpg

It was a spare regulator that we used for the bbq.......
So i now carry a spare
smiley-laughing.gif

The one that is in use for the vans gas supply has been on for a few years now with no problems.

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Try these people Surfer - the prices are good and they have a large range http://www.gasequipmentdirect.co.uk/Store/Product/SSH1500PROP.aspx
Just make sure you get the correct length pigtail. I used to use a long pigtail to an external 19kg propane bottle when on CS or CL sites in the winter but I get smacked wrists for doing that these days as it has been decided that it is unsafe to have a large freestanding bottle (even if it is firmly strapped to the jokey wheel to prevent it getting knocked over).

Jun 6, 2006
Visit site
Sproket said:
Have you thought about just changing the pigtail to one that has a handwheel & requires very little effort to use, that way you keep your lightweight bottles.......

I suspect that your link "pigtail" is an example, but it should be pointed out that a 750mm pigtail is to long for a caravan/motohome unless it has a pull out try, the max length is 450mm

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
Martin_E said:
Sproket said:

I suspect that your link "pigtail" is an example, but it should be pointed out that a 750mm pigtail is to long for a caravan/motohome unless it has a pull out try, the max length is 450mm
smiley-laughing.gif

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Martin_E said:
Sproket said:

Why do you think the 750mm pigtail is too long?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts