CHARCOAL BBQS IN FRANCE

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
i not3ed on the sites that im bbooked into - les brunelles one of them - that they say they do not allow charcoal bbqs? is the correct ??
do people still bbq or is it a definate no no?
could you still use a cadac as example alternative?

any advice appreciated

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Lots of French sites don't allow charcoal barbecues because of the fire risk, and the number of sites not allowing them is likely to rise in dry seasons (which this year has been, in many parts). Cadacs are usually fine - but you should ask at the site - again things could change if there is a big risk of fire. Those sites in pine woods are often more strict than other places - and we have been on sites where no barbecueing of any sort was allowed.

Jul 20, 2005
Visit site
I'm in agreement with Val. Also, we have found that as the season goes on and the vegetation dries and there are more people around, then the restrictions increase. Earlier in the year, rules seam to be more relaxed. We carry a small gas barbeque which, now it is well "seasoned", makes the food taste pretty good. However, we did once give a site owner a real scare when the sausages we were cooking created clouds of smoke. He obviously thought he had a fire on site and was not best pleased!

Jo

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
I replied, in my first post, saying Cadacs are usually fine - but ask the site! As I said, fire restrictions can mean thing change from week to week, so you really need to ask - email your sites to ask (most sites will reply in English to an English email), and you'll get an answer which applies to the sites you're going to visit, rather than just a 'general' answer which may not apply to your sites.
We've seen lots of people using Cadacs - but not on every site. We've seen people using charcoal - if there are no fire risk issues - but you really do need to ask the sites themselves, especially if they've already said that charcoal barbecues are 'interdit'.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts