Charges to take your dog Caravaning

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Philspadders said:
Who decides a fee is excessive. You dont know what the operational costs of the site are. Perhaps they are actually trying to discourage campers with dogs .

Simple answer really and I thought it was obvious. The dog owner decides if the fee is excessive and whether he uses the site. The point about the fee being excessive has also been pointed out a few times in previous posts explaining that it's probably done to deter dogs but as I put in my previous post why not just say "No Dogs".

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Philspadders said:
Who decides a fee is excessive. You dont know what the operational costs of the site are. Perhaps they are actually trying to discourage campers with dogs .

I read posts about caravaners spending £15k on a caravan then upgrading to new car for another £20k, then complaining about paying a few pounds for a dog.
Gazza's OP pointed out , very fairly, that he and SWMBO only had their dog, no kids. He was already paying the same price as a family with two kids. Why couldn't the dogs replace the kids, cost wise?
At £5 per dog per night I'll incur an extra £140 for a two week holiday. On principle I vote with my paws and never pay.
Oh yes Phil I've worked very hard for 41 years and scrimped and saved hard for my outfit. I don't want to spend my hard earned money on dog fees thankyou. That's not a complaint, just a fact.

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Sorry dustydog, i really fail to see what "working hard for 41 years" has to do with Dog fees, or whether you pay them or not.
Plain fact is I recall when Awnings were free, now most places charge for that, and indeed some already charge per adult and per child.
Caravanning is still popular,so one can imagine as time goes on more and more places will charge for Dogs too.
One can only hope they stay reasonably priced otherwise i can see a time when like you, people with dogs will refuse to use sites that charge.
This has two senarios, 1. people with dogs will be fighting each other to use sites that dont charge for dogs, or 2. caravan sites will notice a clear drop in use and remove the charge for dogs, second one is less likely though.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
JonnyG said:
Sorry dustydog, i really fail to see what "working hard for 41 years" has to do with Dog fees, or whether you pay them or not.
Plain fact is I recall when Awnings were free, now most places charge for that, and indeed some already charge per adult and per child.
Caravanning is still popular,so one can imagine as time goes on more and more places will charge for Dogs too.
One can only hope they stay reasonably priced otherwise i can see a time when like you, people with dogs will refuse to use sites that charge.
This has two senarios, 1. people with dogs will be fighting each other to use sites that dont charge for dogs, or 2. caravan sites will notice a clear drop in use and remove the charge for dogs, second one is less likely though.
Jonny
Merely an answer to a point Philspaders raised. See his last sentence. Otherwise I entirely agree with you.
Back to the OP in my experience very few sites actually charge for dogs and those that do don't get my custom. It's never caused me any inconvenience. As Lisa says vot ewith your paws.
smiley-wink.gif

May 17, 2010
Visit site
We have never paid more than £2.50 for each dog (we have 2 Border Collies)
Most sites we use are either Free or about £1.00 each - We do not use any Club Sites.
Our favourite site only charges £1.00 each dog, but teenagers are £3.50 each a night.
There are 2 fields that the dogs can run round around and a third with a cut pathway with
3 bins and 2 water taps with containers for the dogs.
The one site we will not be going back again to charged £2.50 each and had to be excersised
off site. That said we now always ask what facilities there are for the dogs and if there is a seperate dog walk.
and the price of course. We do always say, sorry we will not be coming here , not at your prices if we feel that they are expensive

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
caravanman said:
Hi all I have great news, the camping and caravan club today sent me an update they are no longer charging fo dogs on there sites,
Alan.
I was actually surprised to see the caravan club doesn't charge for Dogs, and more so the the camping and caravan club did! until now Being as its motto is "the friendly club"!
Maybe these organisations actually read these forum topics, and actually take note.

Oct 11, 2008
Visit site
Philspadders said:
i find swan pooh, and rabbit droppings much less offensive than the steaming stinking piles left behind by meat eating doggies . I also find the quacks of ducks much less annoying than dogs barking when their owners have gone out and left them behind only for the owners to deny that theor dog(s) bark.
When i visit some sites with a heavy dog presence you can actually smell the urine and pooh, I have seen pitches where the gras has died back in patches due to dogs urinating all over the pitch, so dog only pitches sounds like a good idea.
As for charging for dogs, whats is the problem ?
These sites and their owners are running a business, they are not charitable organisations, or funded by the public purse soley for your pleasure because you have a dog(s).
And dont forget , that many dog friendly sites have set aside a field or other area for dog walking and have to pay rates or rent for that piece of land. The owners may have to cut back grass and weeds , that has a cost attached to it. There are fences to erect and maintain, dog pooh bins to erect, maintain and empty, some provide bags for the turds.These things are not free.

If you dont like what the site charges for your dog then dont go, chose another site, there are others.
I feed my dog raw meat so it has little to no smell
smiley-laughing.gif
and you have to be pulling my leg or have an overactive noise as i have never smelt dog wee or poo on a pitch LOL i dont want my dog weeing on my pitch ,it would be like them peeing on the lounge carpet LOL

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
hi all.
I must say all of the of the comments and complaints in this thread have been aired many times before, the simple answer is if you dont like the terms and conditions of a site. DON'T GO THERE.
in 40+years of touring 30 odd of that with dogs I can't say we have ever had a problem finding a site that suits us at reasonable cost.
before going to a new site I allways ask the same questions.
1.pitch availability
2. price
3. facilities on site
4.extra charges including dogs
5 if they charge extra say for dogs what do they provide extra for the cost,
6.arrival and depature times.
if any of the above questions dont suit us I decline to use the site. an enquire elsewhere. It really is that simple there are dozens of sites within an area that one wants to visit that will suit the purpose and when one is found it is placed in a notebook for future reference.
this year we will be going without any dogs for the first time in 20years so the site we are going to will be dog and child free just for a change. Not that we have any objection to dogs or kids for that matter but seeing as how we dont have either the priorities have changed for us and it frees up a pitch for someone who does have a dog or kids.

colin

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
caravanman said:
Hi all I have great news, the camping and caravan club today sent me an update they are no longer charging fo dogs on there sites,

Alan.

JonnyG said:
] I was actually surprised to see the caravan club doesn't charge for Dogs, and more so the the camping and caravan club did! until now Being as its motto is "the friendly club"!

Maybe these organisations actually read these forum topics, and actually take note.

There is some misleading information being posted here. We don't own a dog but I sympathise with dog owners who face excessive charges and as a member of the C&CC I emailed them to ask about their policy on dog charges.
The C&CC replied:
' Dear Mr. Parkes,

Thank you for your email correspondence.

It has never been a policy of the Camping and Caravanning Club to charge additional fees for Dogs, or any other pets, when staying on UK Club Sites. However, there may be Certificated Sites that charge such fees, though the Camping and Caravanning Club does not dictate or influence the pricing structure of these sites; that would be the responsibility of the Site Owners.

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to contact us; we hope this clarifies the matter for you.

Kind regards and best wishes,
*********** ***************** '
I'm not sure what 'update' caravan man received to say that charges for dogs 'no longer' apply but as you can see the C&CC have never charged for dogs or other pets on their own sites.

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
Hello Parksy,
Having read my letter again It seems a mistake has been made on my post, After telling me the virtues of bellonging to the club it goes on to say " in addition to the above, from the 1st of January we are no longer charging extra for dogs so your favourite four legged friend can enjoy forest walkies for free woof woof !! "
The secret is in forest walkies, it seems that the club has taken over the running of the forrestry commision camp sites for the past year or so, and this is were they will no longer charge for dogs. Sorry for any confusion caused.
Alan

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts