Charging Batteries

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Could anyone please advise me on if you need to constantly trickle charge your leisure battery over winter or when the van is not in use. Or do you remove the battery from the van when not in use.Many thanks in advance. Craig

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Craig, you do NOT have to constantly trickle charge batteries during the winter.

It is better, if yo ucan, to remove them from the van, as it makes it easier to look after them, but all they need is to be fully charged, then check them at about 2 monthly intervals and rechrge them. Leisure batteries WILL discharge over time, and its the possibility of it dropping below its usable low limit you want to avoid, which for a leisure battery is about 10.5 volts.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I keep my van "hooked up" at all times, and I've never had a problem with the battery - which is now in its second van and over 4 years old.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Craig, if you have an alarm in your van then it will not work if you remove the battery and probably compromise your insurance cover. I find a 48hour boost once a month keeps it in peak condition.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I disagree with Tonye - my factory fitted alarm has a rechargeable battery completely independent of the leisure battery. I thought they all did? Sorry, but I also disagree with Damian - all lead-acid batteries will benefit from a stand-by charge over winter. You can buy chargers (e.g. Halfords) that automatically monitor the battery and maintain pristine condition. Finally, I use a standard (

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts