Charging dead leisure battery

Feb 10, 2021
Visit site
I have a relatively new (less than 2 years) but dead (less that 10v) leisure battery. Some of the modern, 'smart' chargers claim to be able to recharge and bring back to life a dead battery. Does anybody know if they really do?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I have a relatively new (less than 2 years) but dead (less that 10v) leisure battery. Some of the modern, 'smart' chargers claim to be able to recharge and bring back to life a dead battery. Does anybody know if they really do?

Depends on how long it’s been that low. Given the battery is relatively new if you could borrow a smart charger it would be worth giving it a go. Charge until it shows the battery is charged, disconnect, leave a couple of hours then measure battery voltage and remeasure for the next few days. If it’s holding voltage it might be saved. But the proof of the pudding will be when you go to move it on the mover.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
A problem you may have is that some "smart" chargers will not work unless they sense a certain voltage , and at 10v that may not be enough to trigger the charger, in which case you would need a dumb basic charger to give the battery a kick start.

Reactions: JezzerB
Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
My ex car battery which went dead I put it in my workshop (shed) and left it on charge with my RoadPro charger. It now provides extra lighting in the shed and reads constant 12.6v .I do give it a boost about every three weeks. I should say had it on charge for 24hrs.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
At 10V it is not dead but some items may not work.
I discovered a few months back that our 100W (original fitment) solar panel had let the battery die - it was down to 3.6V! I dug out a 13.8V 8A regulated power supply and connected it across the battery in series with a 21W flasher bulb. The bulb lit moderately brightly but over a couple of days got dimmer and dimmer until it finally extinguished (or at least appeared to.) I check the battery at 11.5V. I then connected a smart charger to the battery and left it for another few days or so such that the charger had wanged it with 3.8A for some time and then dropped to trickle for a day or two. I put it back on the caravan and it works perfectly - and to be sure I have put the mains back on the van as well! And yes, the mover does work.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for all the feedback. I put it on a long charge with a conventional charger and it does seem to have come back to life and is holding charge.

Now that you have it breathing on its own again, I would recommend adding a CTEK to your armoury and recondition the battery with it. Hopefiully get rid of the sulphation thats likely to be on the plates.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts