Charging the battery while towing

Mar 3, 2019
Visit site
I have just had my tow bar electrics changed to 13 pin which I believe now means it will charge the battery and cool the fridge while towing.

I have a Bailey Phoenix 420 and was wondering if there is a switch that I need to flip to make this happen, or will it just work automatically?

Many thanks

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
There is a position on the fridge for gas, mains 240, 12 v dc or off. When towing it should be set to the 12 v dc position. Usually identified by a battery sign. Also check the owners handbook to see if there are any other things required by Bailey on your model.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi. Just remember that towing electrics generally manage to keep an already cooled fridge cool. They tend not to be able to cool the fridge from scratch.
Mel

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Mel said:
Hi. Just remember that towing electrics generally manage to keep an already cooled fridge cool. They tend not to be able to cool the fridge from scratch.
Mel

I'm perhaps being a little pedantic here, but the 12V element is quite capable of cooling the fridge from scratch, BUT it does requie the power to be maintained , which many tow cars don't do so thats why 12V systems tend to be poorer at cooling the fridge.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Basically nthe fridge manufacturers say the fridge connection is to maintain the lower temperature when towing rather than to cool it.
Not sure who did the conversion of the plug but did you tell them you were towing a caravan as if not they may not have wired the plug for this, as a standard trailer would not need it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts