Charging unit in a swift Corvette (1991)

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
WE have recently purchased a swift Corvette. When purchasing the seller stated that there was a fault with the charging unit so it had been dosconnected. The seller had been living in the van for a while and had only used the mains hook up for lighting etc.

Is it worth getting the unit looked at / repaired or could it be replaced easily and cheaply.

The unit is a 1014 from BCA leasure (according to the document in with the handbook.) It is a silver unit behind the gas fire and under the wardrobe. I have seen a great range of chargin units on the web, one of which looks similar for £69. Is the replacement of the part fairly simple DIY job?

Currently the existing unit had been connected to the consumer unit via a separate cable with a switch box in line. The trip switch on the consumer unit states that it controls the fridge and charging unit. The fridge currently works.

ANy helpful advice would be great. New to caravaning with a family, when I was young my Dad used to change the caravan battery in to the car every day for 2 weeks to keep them both charged... and I am keen not to go down this route.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Matt,

It sounds like the previous owner was not using the 12V system at all. In which case are you sure it is the charger that has failed? - it might have been something else that gave the impression the charger was not working. It may be just a fuse blown.

I think you need to check out the system more fully first. I suggest you fit a charged 12V battery and check all the 12V systems actually work. (Lights, pump, water heater controls, heater fan if it has one etc) . Then by a process of elimination you should be able to determine if there is a problem or not.

If the 12v wiring and appliance check out, then reconnect the charger and monitor the battery voltage.

If you are unsure of how to do any of this then get an electrician to test it for you.

Even though 12V will not give you a direct shock, the quality of connections and wiring is important. A battery can deliver a massive current, which is more than enough to melt wiring and fittings and can start fires if they have been fitted incorrectly, so take great care.

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
Hello Matt,

It sounds like the previous owner was not using the 12V system at all. In which case are you sure it is the charger that has failed? - it might have been something else that gave the impression the charger was not working. It may be just a fuse blown.

I think you need to check out the system more fully first. I suggest you fit a charged 12V battery and check all the 12V systems actually work. (Lights, pump, water heater controls, heater fan if it has one etc) . Then by a process of elimination you should be able to determine if there is a problem or not.

If the 12v wiring and appliance check out, then reconnect the charger and monitor the battery voltage.

If you are unsure of how to do any of this then get an electrician to test it for you.

Even though 12V will not give you a direct shock, the quality of connections and wiring is important. A battery can deliver a massive current, which is more than enough to melt wiring and fittings and can start fires if they have been fitted incorrectly, so take great care.
Thank you for that - Will look into it over the wekend when I have some daylight. The Caravan battery still had plenty of charge and ran the lights before they were left on for a few hours (on the assumption that the battery charger was running) The pump also runs.

Thanks for the advice

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I would add, I doubt BCA was about in 91 and that the original charger was an early 'Plug in System' KT12 unit?

This would suggest it's already been changed but failed again possibly?

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
After removing the BCA unit it is clear that it has burnt out. A friend who is an electrician has told me to get a new unit and he would fit it.

Spotted this on ebay through caravan supplies international looks similar will it do the job?

CARAVAN 12V CHARGER TRANSFORMER MOTORHOME HORSEBOX

Item condition: New

Time left: 4d 22h (23 Feb, 201008:31:08 GMT)

Quantity: 2 available

Please enter a quantity of $quantity$ or less

Please enter a quantity of 1

Price:

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It will be a direct replacement, basically it's a 12v 'power source' not a battery charger as such, albeit it does a fair job of charging a battery

Proper chargers need 14.4v while that is set lower at 13.8v, which is, the higher end of what a battery charger would automatically drop back too when the battery is fully charged.

In short then, it is the same as what was fitted originally and the same as the replacement that's now burnt out.

I would though have your batteries condition checked before you hook the new charger in, a faulty battery is the probable cause of the demise of the last one.

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
OK so it is a direct replacement. A lot of reading has led me to believe that newer (2 stage) chargers are more effective at charging the battery as Gary stated. The cost of these are similar too. However I will need the unit to be a power source also, so that when I am hooked up I won't effectively be using the battery but the power source will be supplying my 12 Volt power.

If I don't replace the unit can I simply buy a 2 stage charger and leave it plugged in to my sockets in the caravan and charge while using the battery etc. the 12 volt system would run all of my lights and the pump I think.

What should I buy? Direct replacement which may not look after my battery Or a good battery charger (which I am unsure will do the job?

I would rather not buy both.

Further advice would be greatly recieved.

Thanks

Matt

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Pro's and con's to either sort,

1, a power source can run with or without a battery, a proper battery charger cannot be used without a battery.

2, a power source will allow your battery to sulphate and kill it prematurely, in between the battery will never be fully charged so you don't get to use its full potential while away from a hook up.

A proper battery charger then prolongs a batteries life, one battery lasting only twice as long will save you more than the difference cost between charger /PSU

The best chargers can be set to optimise the charge for different type batteries, two stage is basic and better ones are 3 or 4 or even more.

Also generally they can be switched to permanent 13.8v same as a PSU, giving you the best of both worlds.

For instance, I stock two types, an 18A 3 stage which can be switched to float only, (13.8v), for use as a power source without a battery. This is actually very little dearer than the BCA your looking at.

The better one for those with expensive batteries to look after is also 18A, but has a 4th 'cell equalisation' stage every 10th charge, and is switchable for GEL, AGM, SLA plus float.

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
Pro's and con's to either sort,

1, a power source can run with or without a battery, a proper battery charger cannot be used without a battery.

2, a power source will allow your battery to sulphate and kill it prematurely, in between the battery will never be fully charged so you don't get to use its full potential while away from a hook up.

A proper battery charger then prolongs a batteries life, one battery lasting only twice as long will save you more than the difference cost between charger /PSU

The best chargers can be set to optimise the charge for different type batteries, two stage is basic and better ones are 3 or 4 or even more.

Also generally they can be switched to permanent 13.8v same as a PSU, giving you the best of both worlds.

For instance, I stock two types, an 18A 3 stage which can be switched to float only, (13.8v), for use as a power source without a battery. This is actually very little dearer than the BCA your looking at.

The better one for those with expensive batteries to look after is also 18A, but has a 4th 'cell equalisation' stage every 10th charge, and is switchable for GEL, AGM, SLA plus float.
Thanks for all the advice - Great to hear from people who know what they are talking about.

Ordered a 3 stage charger today It is switable onto float (13.8) so I presume this will be similar function to the one you mentioned. you were right also ony

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts