Chateau Gandspette

Jul 20, 2005
Visit site
I'd like some advice please. We want to book into Chateau Gandspette for our first night out in June. We stopped there on spec one night on our way back last year, but were early and managed to get one of the last few spaces. This year we will be later - around 8pm, so we thought we'd better book. We could do this on their website, but the deposit is such that they'd owe us money! What should we do?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Jo

We have used Gandspette lots and never booked. Are you a member of the Caravan Club, if so you can book this site through their ABS system.

David

Jul 20, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestion David. We are CC members. However, I was under the impression that it wasn't possible to book an overseas site through them without also making a ferry booking and/or buying camping cheques. We havge already booked out ferry and do not want camping cheques. Or have I misunderstood?

By the way, I have just looked at the new CC web pages and didn't find them as easy to use as previously. Again it might be me, but they took ages to load!

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
If you were Camping Cheque Gold Card holders you can book at Gandspette for free - and save a whole lot on the cost of a night on site. Their normal rate is around 25 euros per night including electricity, where with a Camping Cheque this would cost only

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We turned up without booking at Gandspette in early June last year, and had no problem. Three weeks later, at the end of June, we phoned ahead to enquire about a pitch for the return and were told that if we wanted an elctrical hook-up, we would need to be there before 3.00. Fortunately, we made good time on the journey and arrived well before that, but it definitely gets busy as the season progresses. I would certainly advise at least phoning ahead, that way you will know where you stand.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I stopped on this site some years ago at the end of September, and most of its alleged facilities were not available. I found it very dark and forbidding.

The owners however were charming!

Aug 8, 2005
Visit site
I dunno - I've been on this Site quite a few times - admittedly I've never booked but there is just that undefinable 'something' about it.

Every time I try and check in, I'm left twiddling my thumbs for ages while whoever is behind the desk carries on a conversation with someone.

There is never a " can you hang on a minute ?" or " I'll be with you in a second "

Nope I'm ignored for ages - and I mean about 10 mins or so.

After that I'm shown where I can pitch.

Oh the Site itself is OK , the facilities are clean enough - it's just I get this odd feeling when I check in - like I'm a pain or invisible .

Oh and it's not a language problem either - my French may not be totally fluent - but it's never let me down and I can talk to a dentist using French too - so it can't be that bad

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As someone else said if you use camping cheques book thru them - far easier. We usually stay at Bien Assise and have only ever stayed here once. I know David Klyne is a big supporter of the site so we should try it again. We arrived after a very long drive from Burgundy the first time we ever went to France in September and we were shown to a very tight to get on pitch. Nothing was open and the "rentatent" people were dismantling their equipment by torchlight! Have to say it rather put us off! So I never went back. However that was 12 years ago so I will make an effort to give it another chance as I feel that Bien Assise has got very expensive

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
By my reckoning I have stayed at Gandspette 9 times so perhaps its not surprising I have an affinity to the site! Because we know the site so well I usually ask for a pitch in the new part which are generally larger and easier to get onto. I have sometimes read negative reports about Gandspette but this has not been my experience. I have stayed at quite a few campsites around Calais, last count 6, and apart from La Bien Assise none of them match Gandspette. I do recognise there is a problem in recommending a campsite as we all have different needs and expectations. DavidC mentioned Bien Assise and we stayed here in September 2006 as it was nearer the direction we were comimg from (usually the thing that dictates where we stay) I thought that it had improved since our last visit about 5/6 years before. I am pretty sure DavidC goes out of season and if so you can use the ACSI Card there which shows quite a saving. It would be usful to have other site suggestions within a 30 miles of Calais if anyone has stayed at a gem.

David

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Like David, we've stayed at Gandspette lots of time. Hard to count, but almost every time we're going home from France, twice a year, for at least the last thirteen years!! I like it there. We've always been 'recognised' and our previous stays acknowledged - much to say, Aah - here again - just the one night??!!!! The facilities have been upgraded, the new area is lovely, and the new block is of a high standard, the pitches in the new area are large (if not quite level). The restaurant is cheap, and the food good, for what you pay. You can get to the ferry in 30 - 40 minutes, on an easy route, and we've never found anywhere better to stay near to the ferry port. Best of all, when we go, using Camping Cheques it is very inexpensive. One year we stayed two nights, to explore the area, and found it much more interesting then we'd thought.

I can imagine, on a cold, rainy, dark, September night, when the site is almost empty, the trees might make it a little foreboding, but that would apply to almost any site in France under those conditions.

Jul 20, 2005
Visit site
All very interesting, but I'm not sure it's much help! We're booked on a 6pm tunnel, so are unlikely to reach Ch de Gandspette until almost 8.30pm local time - too late to go looking elsewhere if they are full. As we like to just book a ferry and then wander from municipal to municipal, camping cheques etc. aren't appropriate.

Incidentally, we ate in their restaurant last year and weren't particularly impressed. Maybe it's because we were on our way home, rather than on our way out.

Can anyone suggest another site close to the tunnel for a saturday night stop in June arriving around 8.30pm?

Jo

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
There's La Bien-Assise at Guines, which is near to Calais. On their website they advise that booking is only required in July/August but perhaps you could ring them to make sure. Otherwise they charge a booking fee of 39 euros - but this is for a five day booking.

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
I dunno - I've been on this Site quite a few times - admittedly I've never booked but there is just that undefinable 'something' about it.

Every time I try and check in, I'm left twiddling my thumbs for ages while whoever is behind the desk carries on a conversation with someone.

There is never a " can you hang on a minute ?" or " I'll be with you in a second "

Nope I'm ignored for ages - and I mean about 10 mins or so.

After that I'm shown where I can pitch.

Oh the Site itself is OK , the facilities are clean enough - it's just I get this odd feeling when I check in - like I'm a pain or invisible .

Oh and it's not a language problem either - my French may not be totally fluent - but it's never let me down and I can talk to a dentist using French too - so it can't be that bad
wow Angela, I didnt think the NHS dentist was that bad!!

Kevin H

Feb 26, 2007
Visit site
We have stayed at La Bien Assise several times, having made a booking on the internet for single nights - either coming or going always in July or August.Each time on arrival at the campsite, I've been told that my booking fee will not be charged ( because of the short stay ) and I've only had to pay the site fees.

Jul 20, 2005
Visit site
That's interesting, Heather. How does that work? Do they charge the booking fee to your card and then reimburse later, or don't they charge it until you turn up?

This is where I came in, I think! But if my booking fee at Chateau G is not likely to be charged to my card before I get there, maybe booking ahead on line is practical after all!

Jo

Feb 20, 2006
Visit site
When we stayed there last time it was same situation, It all came out in the wash- I think they only took a deposit from me when booking and then i squared up with them upon arrival - Good luck - it is a good site!!

Jim

Feb 26, 2007
Visit site
That's interesting, Heather. How does that work? Do they charge the booking fee to your card and then reimburse later, or don't they charge it until you turn up?

This is where I came in, I think! But if my booking fee at Chateau G is not likely to be charged to my card before I get there, maybe booking ahead on line is practical after all!

Jo
They take a "booking fee" from my credit card as a deposit, then on arrival it's only a few Euro to pay for the site fee, as they say that they will not charge me the reservation fee.All that I pay for is the stated site fee plus extras like electricity, extra adults etc.

Jul 20, 2005
Visit site
They take a "booking fee" from my credit card as a deposit, then on arrival it's only a few Euro to pay for the site fee, as they say that they will not charge me the reservation fee.All that I pay for is the stated site fee plus extras like electricity, extra adults etc.
So, the "deposit" is not actually charged against your card? It's just an insurance policy in case you do a runner and don't pay? If that's right, then problem solved. Thanks very much Heather.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts