cheap 4x4

Jul 25, 2007
Visit site
I will be changing my car in the next few months. As I am increasingly using the caravan for caravan club rallies which are often in fields etc I was considering getting a 4x4 rather than another family size car (currently drive a 2006 Mondeo).

I don't want to pay big money and I don't want a huge fuel guzzling engine which rules out cars like the Shogun. Does anyone have experience of the Hyundai Tucson, Kia Sportage or Hyundai Santa Fe?

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Shogun might use more fuel but you will be sure to get on or off the rally field, thats a definate, not a definate with the other's you mention.

NigelH

Feb 12, 2007
Visit site
I have a Kia Sorento Auto which tows like a dream.Ive had it 18months now with no problems you can get fairly cheap high milers now.Good luck in your search and hope you get what your looking for.

Jul 25, 2007
Visit site
Thanks Gilbert, I had not considered the Sorento because unlike the Santa Fe you cant get it with a 2.0L diesel. From what I can see on the web the only diesel is 2.5L. What sort of mpg do you get when driving solo?

Oct 29, 2007
Visit site
William,

I've got a Kia Sorento & yes you're quite right they only do it with a 2.5 turbo diesel (diesel option, there is a petrol engine available)its rumoured that the new 2010 model will have the 2.2 diesel engine.

Mines a manual pre face lift 05 0n a 55 plate. 03 models can be bought for a couple of grand, but as all things in life you get what you pay for, if you want one go for as late a model as you can afford. XE is the base model, XS is the next one up, folowwed by the XT & the Titan (the Titan is an XT with 18 inch wheels)

over the last 12,000 miles solo my fuel economy ranges between 35 & 41 mpg depending on how I drive it (super old fart mode gives the better economy), expect significantly less with an auto, 0ver 3,000 miles towing mpg ranges between 19 & 24 depending on load, inclines (hilly & mountainous regions) & wind direction (my Bailey Indiana is about aerodynamic as a brick & headwinds seriously affect the fuel consumption).

Having said all that I wouldn't change it for any other tow car, quite simply it's superb as a tow car, just come back from France & did over 1900 miles towing without a hiccup (car wise)& averaged 23.9mpg towing. No wonder it was the Caravan Club's tow car of the year for a couple of years running! and is constantly there at the top of the JD Power reliabilty & affordability (cost of ownership) surveys

Jun 21, 2006
Visit site
Depending on what your towing the new Skoda Yeti may be suitable. It is launched in September. It will be available with a variety of engines. I for one can't wait to see one.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Spot on George

I've had my Sorie since new in July 2005.

72000 miles later she does all we want. Never missed a beat.

Cheers

Dustydog

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My Sorrie is an 04 Xs auto ( 5 speed) and its been very reliable, no faults when under warranty and only a rear brake caliper has had to be replaced. Servicing costs are reasonable to low. MPG is 30-32 solo and 22-24 towing a 1400kg van. I don't drive with a view to achiving ultra economy but neither do I cane it. Oh and if you can afford the extra mpg go for the 5 speed auto it never gets caught out. Very early Sorentos had a 4 speed auto. I undersatnd that the post facelift models have more bhp but the same mpg.

Feb 15, 2009
Visit site
William get a Kia Sportage 2.0ltr Diesel XS very good prices for what you get 2WD until you start to loose grip then 4WD kicks in OR press a button for 4WD AND 7 years warrenty great motor i tow a Swift Charisma 555 model (1480kg) with no problems 6 speed nearly all of the time on A roads & Motorways get about 24/26 towing 42/44 solo would highly recomend it against your Shoguns/Discovery,s ect ect just paying for the name. good comfortable ride not fast of the mark but loads of low down pulling power .will sit at 70mph on motorway all day. try one you wont be dissapointed

hpoe this helps

Duggie

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Willaim, don't mess about buy a Discovery and you will never regret it!! You get a lot of car for little money, spares are also very cheap and it will last alot longer than any jap or korean cars. It WILL get you in and out of any situation with any van on the back.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Syuart

William's OP said I don't want to pay big money and I don't want a huge fuel guzzling engine which rules out cars like the Shogun.

The sort of Disco he could afford would probably be one of the earlier dogs.They consistently came bottom in the JD Power survey and enjoyed a good drink.

Ok some have been very lucky with Discos , others haven't.

William hasn't told us his caravan's weight so maybe all the comments so far may not be relevant to his situation??

Cheers

Dustydog

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I sold my Disco Series 2 TD5 witha great deal of glee. It was the worts car for reliabilty ever and so when it came out of warranty I did not want the repair costs falling to me. Cheap though the spares are do you really want to be for ever off road. Re Jap and Korean.... why when you see news of humanitarian work in Africa, or wildlife programmes is it always Jap, and msotly Landcruisers. Can so amny Somali warlords be geting it wrong!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The Sorento noseweight is above 100kg, I think it is around 108kg, but most vans have a lower limit than the top Sorento figure. The Sportage is 75kg.

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Dustydog, the Discovery is cheap to buy, cheap to run and is far from a gas guzzler, probably returning the same figures as any other vehicle of its kind eg 30mpg solo and low 20's towing. it is still the best 4x4 on the market in my opinion and the resale value will hold up better than the equivalent shogun or sorento. i have had four now and never had a problem with any of them. William has just let us know how heavy his van is now and i would agree that a large 4x4 is not needed, but still a great tow car if that is what he were to want. he could realistically move down to a freelander size car and still have piece of mind that he will get out of the field after a rally!! just for the record, with a budget of

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Dustydog, the Discovery is cheap to buy, cheap to run and is far from a gas guzzler, probably returning the same figures as any other vehicle of its kind eg 30mpg solo and low 20's towing. it is still the best 4x4 on the market in my opinion and the resale value will hold up better than the equivalent shogun or sorento. i have had four now and never had a problem with any of them. William has just let us know how heavy his van is now and i would agree that a large 4x4 is not needed, but still a great tow car if that is what he were to want. he could realistically move down to a freelander size car and still have piece of mind that he will get out of the field after a rally!! just for the record, with a budget of

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Now we know William's MTPLM we can move away from the Landie Sorrie debate.

The Honda CRV , Nissan X Trail would be ideal IMO.

Cheers

Dustydog

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
For around 10k you could get an early disco 3 the value's of 4x4's have plummented so much,they also have a new model coming out in the next few months so prices will drop even further.

Apr 30, 2008
Visit site
Hi William,

With a 1250 max weight then a CRV diesel would do you fine.

I have just returned from our first continental trip and drove 1500 miles in France without a hitch.

It was mostly motorway driving at 60mph in 6th on cruise control. Overall got 25mpg towing a Bailly Monarch which is about your vans weight.

It went like a dream in 2 wheel drive with the option of 4 wheel drive on grass - though 4wd never kicked in even after three days standing on soaking wet grass or pulling the van off the wet pitch.

As a solo car it is fantastic for a 2/w wheel drive- read honest John in the Daily Telegraph.

However my car is the latest model and you might need to go a little more than

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My son has an earlier model CRV diesel manual which returns 42mpg on his M Way commute to work and has been very relaible. It has loads of carrying space and is anice drive too.

Re Sorentos the facts in the Warranty Direct/Which Annual and ADA/TUV, 2008 Auto pacific surveys speak for themselves on reliability. Transfer box issues only affected the torque on demand variant and even then was limited to a relatively low number of cars. The key to avoiding it is to ensure front tyers have more tread than back ones. Have a look at the UK Kia Forum (http://kiasorento.proboards.com/index.cgi?) Re tyres yes they do wear quickly, I am replacing (for the second time) my front now at 48k miles still with 3mm tread. Wifes Mondeo tyres average out at 12k miles and cost more than the Sorento ones (Both premium brands)

I suspect that for your van the CRV would be an excellent match, and good solo too.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My son has an earlier model CRV diesel manual which returns 42mpg on his M Way commute to work and has been very relaible. It has loads of carrying space and is anice drive too.

Re Sorentos the facts in the Warranty Direct/Which Annual and ADA/TUV, 2008 Auto pacific surveys speak for themselves on reliability. Transfer box issues only affected the torque on demand variant and even then was limited to a relatively low number of cars. The key to avoiding it is to ensure front tyers have more tread than back ones. Have a look at the UK Kia Forum (http://kiasorento.proboards.com/index.cgi?) Re tyres yes they do wear quickly, I am replacing (for the second time) my front now at 48k miles still with 3mm tread!!! Wife's Mondeo tyres average out at 12k miles and cost more than the Sorento ones (Both premium brands)

I suspect that for your van the CRV would be an excellent match, and good solo too.

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
HAVE TUCSON LIMETED 6SPEED 5YEARS WARENTY LOW GEARING PLUS 6 SPEED SPOT ON CAR PULLS LIKE A TRAIN ALL MOD CONS RECOMEND TO ANY ONE HAD 6 HYUNDAIS NEVER NO PROBS MAKE SURE YOU GO FOR 2006 MODLE WITH 6SPEED BOX

G

SSanyong Kyron sx good cheap auto 4x4 turbo diesel

Comfortable reliabe and all the toys without disastrous fuel consumption

Ours is 56 plate bought at 2 yrs old for 9k with 37000 in 5 months I have done 15000 including 2 tugs to the south of France

These cars are well not cool but mine works fine and has not broken in any way shape or form

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
HAVE TUCSON LIMETED 6SPEED 5YEARS WARENTY LOW GEARING PLUS 6 SPEED SPOT ON CAR PULLS LIKE A TRAIN ALL MOD CONS RECOMEND TO ANY ONE HAD 6 HYUNDAIS NEVER NO PROBS MAKE SURE YOU GO FOR 2006 MODLE WITH 6SPEED BOX
Hi Dean,

Please check the forum etiquette on using upper case lettering.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts