Checks and paperwork

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm just about ready to buy my first van, I was planning on buying from a dealer as I have no experience whatsoever of caravans. A couple of days ago I learnt that someone on the estate on which I work was selling a van at a price that is right for me. I'm just a little concerned as to what legal checks I should do on the van and what doccumentation I should get on completion of sale.

I'm probably being a little over cautious because I know the guy and he's great bloke but we've saved pretty hard for caravan, the kids included and I've seen a few horror stories on TV about ownership problems and I do know the van was part of a divorce settlement.

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
On the left of the forum page you should see white box with "HPI guide to buying a used caravan" written inside it. Click on that and you will find some useful information on CRIS checks. Might be a good starting point. Good luck

Robert

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Dan

The main difference between buying from a dealer and buying from a private individual is that the sale from the dealer is covered by the sale of goods act (soga) and the private sale is not.

This means that if you buy your caravan via a private sale you need to

A) Be certain that the vendor has the right to sell the caravan.

This can be done via a CRiS check which is similar to a HPI check on a used car.

Details can be found Here

B) Be sure that the caravan has no major faults such as damp or faulty components.

Ask for evidence of a full service history, the owner will have the CRiS documents and the handbook / servicing schedule which should be stamped in a similar way that vehicle service books are. These documents are transferred to the new owner.

If you don't know much about caravans ask the vendor if they will agree to you having a mobile caravan engineer check the caravan before the sale, this could save you a lot of money in the long run.

C)Satisfy yourself that the caravan is as advertised, the year of manufacture is correct and thhat the vendor specifically puts in writing that there are no major problems, don't fall for any of the 'sold as seen' rubbish or you could be conned.

Both clubs offer free advice for new caravanners, the Camping & Caravanning Club has a web-page for new owners and buyers

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts