Cherwell Valley Services

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Planning the trip to Norfolk and the Subaru doesn’t have the “ legs” of previous diesels. So I need to get used to fuelling up with a caravan behind! The planned stop is at Cherwell Valley services which from Google seems to have some decent caravan parking on the northern perimeter. Although I can spot two outfits in the HGV area too. Looking at the layout it appears that once you’ve committed to the caravan area you have passed the HGV area as a n option. The fuel pumps are on the way out so no problem. Does any one know that if the caravan area is full it is possible to access the HGV area without going right out again and onto the motorway island.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Planning the trip to Norfolk and the Subaru doesn’t have the “ legs” of previous diesels. So I need to get used to fuelling up with a caravan behind! The planned stop is at Cherwell Valley services which from Google seems to have some decent caravan parking on the northern perimeter. Although I can spot two outfits in the HGV area too. Looking at the layout it appears that once you’ve committed to the caravan area you have passed the HGV area as a n option. The fuel pumps are on the way out so no problem. Does any one know that if the caravan area is full it is possible to access the HGV area without going right out again and onto the motorway island.
I will answer my own question. Cherwell have a clearly signed caravan area which is a very long parking area someway past the main car park. So that’s a real disincentive to “parking abusers”. If it’s full you can loop back and into the HGV area. And fuel is on the final way out.
Any negatives? Yes 95 octane at 139.9 ppl. And fuel stations on the trunk route in that area were not cheap either.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Possibly the best bet is to check Google Earth and look for any supermarkets just off the road and check them out.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Possibly the best bet is to check Google Earth and look for any supermarkets just off the road and check them out.

Not particularly convenient if I stop at the M services for a comfort break and a snack, then go off the motorway for supermarket fuel. On my current trip I calculated approximately where I would need to refuel in order to arrive with half a tank. That gives me a margin for diversions or major holdup delays. But putting it into perspective my 30 litres at Cherwell cost £7.5 more than my fuel costs at home but looking at ordinary fuel stations en route the delta was nearer £4.25. as they were more expensive than at home Given the trip was 200 miles at 22mpg £4.25 is hardly worth detouring off of the route.

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I doubt anyone buys fuel at scandalous motorway prices from choice, like you say OC for the few pounds it’s not worth the hassle of coming off, I’ve only had to fill up when towing once on trip to Cornwall, and I had fill up slot planned in advance, my weekly solo fuel bill is in region of £120 weekly and I have got locations of supermarkets locations well known.

BP

Reactions: otherclive

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts