chipping a vectra

Jun 28, 2005
Visit site
has anybody had their vectra chipped,i have a 2 litre standard vectra and want to up the power to the same as a 140,do you know of a website that does it?is it a expensive job,thanks,adrian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Adrian,

Dont know if this is of help but I've got a dragon chip fitted to my Citroen. Go to mrhoot.com and have a look for your car.They do vauxhalls with the added advantage that the device is removeable by you.

Regards

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Adrian

The Vauxhall 2.0DTi diesel (100PS) is completely different from the 1.9CDTi diesels (120/150PS) currently in production. The 2.0DTi is developed by GM Europe while the 1.9CDTi is sourced from Fiat.

The 2.0DTi can probably be chipped to produce more but the main power restrictor is the fixed geometry turbo. 140/150PS is surely too optimistic.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Adrian

I've just spotted your comment that it's a petrol.

The Vauxhall Cavalier dropped the old 115PS 2.0 8v in about '94, in favour of the 136PS 2.0 16v which was carried over to the Vectra.

The ECU could be remapped but without other substantial changes any power gain would be small.

If you ran continuously on Super Unleaded 98 octane, the ECU will adapt and gain about 3% more power but the price differential for 98 makes this a bit pointless.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
www.superchips.co.uk

Super chips techy guys will tell you do's and dont's if you listen!

Give them a call, if they can't give you what you want or say it is not achievable, believe them!

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
Boosting 136hp to 150hp should be easily possible, but at 10% the power gain will be only just noticable. The mid range throttle response should be far better, and it's an easy tweek if you're getting it for a couple of hundred quid. If it's much more than that I wouldn't bother.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The standard 2.0 Vectra PETROL engine is non-turbo so chipping or ECU re-mapping will only produce small increases in power. Vauxhall petrol engines have their electronics well optimised so significant changes like revised camshafts are needed for any real power increase. The downside of a cam change is that low-end torque is reduced, the opposite to a caravanners needs.

Turbo engines, whether petrol or diesel, are much easier to get significant power increases by modifying the boost limits either electronically (chip or re-map) or mechanically (boost valve adjustment).

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
You're quite right Roger, but most manufacturers deliberately build in flat spots at the rpm which corresponds with 56mph & 75mph in an effort to massage economy figures. By seeting this straight there are gains to made, particularly in mid range response.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Craig - manufacturers stopped using 56 / 75 mph for economy figures about 10 years ago, I'm very sceptical whether Vauxhall engines suffered from "flat spots" in the way you describe.

Improving mid-range response is an entirely different matter. Modern engines are tuned/mapped for low emissions particularly in the mid-range. There are a number of cost-effective modifications which sacrifice low emissions for better economy and/or better mid-range response.

I don't see Adrian making cost-effective modifications to his particular engine.

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
Yes I partly agree Roger, I don't think there'll be that much of a noticable gain since the average driver cannot really detect a power differential of less than about 10%. I'm not really up to speed on the newer Vauxhall engines since I haven't modified a car for about 7 years or so, and even then they weren't new cars, but I do know for sure that the older engines were strangled by the engine management. A superchip or starchip made about a 22hp difference to an otherwise standard Cavalier GSi. And bigger inlet valves coupled with a longer duration cam gave the car touring car perfomance.( the Vauxhalls were known for having very small inlet valves).

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Craig - the 20XE/C20XE engine fitted in the Cavalier GSi was a classic. 150PS in standard form and easily tuneable to acheive much higher. The engine was designed, and partly built, by Cosworth and originally intended as an homologation special only which is why it was electronically limited.

The C20XE sold so well that GM Opel/Vauxhall commissioned Cosworth to productionise the design to become the 136PS 16v Ecotec X20XEV engine that was fitted in large numbers in lesser Cavalier, Vectra and Astra models such as Adrians.

The original 20XE is still preferred by Vauxhall modifiers but these engines are all getting long in the tooth now. Many have been converted with a turbo (and other mods!) to give up to 350bhp, which is a tribute to the strength of the original 20XE.

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
I've never really been mad about turbo engines Roger, I think the only turbo worth it's salt was the saab 900. I suppose the porsche 911 was as good but a tad expensive for me. I had the 2ltr 16v engine were talking about in a mk1 astra gte, using full race cams and throttle bodies and producing a reliable 260bhp. Unfortunately they don't make them like that any more.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts