Choice of caravan and towing tips

Oct 8, 2005
Visit site
We are about to buy our first used caravan to tow with our 1998 2 litre Ford Mondeo Estate (petrol)and we would appreciate advice on choice of caravan and towing with this car.

We favour a 2 berth caravan with an end bathroom. We intend to take it to Spain for a couple of months in Spring.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The lighter the caravan the better, Lutz is excellent at letting people know what weights are appropriate for what car, but he isn't the only regular that can give this info out. As for your choice, I would look at Lunar's and Bailey's as they are quite low in weight, but it all comes down to locality of the dealers and what deal you can strike with them, I think its reasonable to say that there are no bad manufacturers out there. You look like your going to spend quite some time in your van, on a personal level, I found that a permanent bed is great for this, but it depends on what your willing to sacrifice to get it, the nice large wash room or the tow car. Have a look at the Bailey Vendee (after checking your weights) as this has a separate bed, washroom/shower and living area. I know it's a 4 births and quite long, but if it's comfort you want you can't get much better on a single axle.

You'll have a great time, whatever you end up with.

Oct 3, 2005
Visit site
coachman were top uk manufacturer for build quality in the CC awards, so they may be worth looking at, and if you only want a 2 berth, your estate will easily manage that.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I'm flattered by your opinion of my level of knowledge, Lol (almost makes me blush) but as I don't live in the UK and British caravans are hardly marketed on the Continent, I have difficulty in recommending a caravan to suit a particular car unless it's a Continental one. The only information I have to go by is from the caravan manufacturers' websites. It's much easier for me the other way round, i.e. to find a car to suit a particular caravan, because information on cars is much easier to come by. In most cases, the same models are available throughout Europe and the data published is to a common EU standard.

Sorry, but you've got me this time. All I can recommend is to have a look at the www.cuddles.abelgratis.net/vandata.htm database which, as far as I can tell, appears to be quite comprehensive and reliable.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'm flattered by your opinion of my level of knowledge, Lol (almost makes me blush) but as I don't live in the UK and British caravans are hardly marketed on the Continent, I have difficulty in recommending a caravan to suit a particular car unless it's a Continental one. The only information I have to go by is from the caravan manufacturers' websites. It's much easier for me the other way round, i.e. to find a car to suit a particular caravan, because information on cars is much easier to come by. In most cases, the same models are available throughout Europe and the data published is to a common EU standard.

Sorry, but you've got me this time. All I can recommend is to have a look at the www.cuddles.abelgratis.net/vandata.htm database which, as far as I can tell, appears to be quite comprehensive and reliable.
I stand corrected, perhaps you could mention, the cars towing capability to give an idea what caravan weight might be appropriate

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com

Although the maximum permissible towload for the car is considerably higher, I would say that, based on its kerbweight, a caravan with an MTPLM of not more than 1200kg would be about right.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts