Choosing a washing line!

Sep 7, 2006
Visit site
Touring with 2 children is really great, the only problem is ALL THE WASHING! It has cost me an absolute fortune in tumble drying. I have been to various caravan supply stores but really do not like what they have available in washing lines. I have too much washing for the one that hangs out the window and the clothes horses don't allow enough air through to dry all the clothing. I can now understand why some people try hanging their clothing from trees & bushes. I eventually had mine hanging all over in our awning, very messy but it had to be done. Does anyone one know of a better solution for drying your washing?

Oct 27, 2005
Visit site
Hi Kerry, I know what you mean. We have three children under 5 and the amount of washing is horrendous and I think the cost of the washing machines is steep. Some sites are

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
I too have a rotary drier, or to give it its full name, a whirly. Other than that I don't think there's a solution since most site wardens will chase you with a stick if you put up a washing line. You could always try a wringer, seriously.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Kerry

I used to have a rotary washing line, i found it a bit of a pain using a base that didn't fall over and if we put it where the jockey wheel goes some of the clothes brushed across the van and made them dirty. So i now have one of those flat airer that they use abroad. I found it dried clothes well and quite quickly too.

Jun 5, 2005
Visit site
Kerry

I haven't tried it myself but have seen a washing line on riverswayleisure.co.uk that fastens to a front and rear handle then runs the length of the van

Gill

Sep 7, 2006
Visit site
Kerry

I haven't tried it myself but have seen a washing line on riverswayleisure.co.uk that fastens to a front and rear handle then runs the length of the van

Gill
Thanks Jill, had a look at their site, but our caravan has slanted handles in the front and horisontal handles at the rear and at different height. Has anyone had any problems fitting this type of washing line?

Sep 7, 2006
Visit site
Kerry

I used to have a rotary washing line, i found it a bit of a pain using a base that didn't fall over and if we put it where the jockey wheel goes some of the clothes brushed across the van and made them dirty. So i now have one of those flat airer that they use abroad. I found it dried clothes well and quite quickly too.
Hi Jill C, what do they look like or where can I find something like that?

Sep 7, 2006
Visit site
Hi Kerry, we use a washing line that extends the length of the van and clips into awning rail. It's really a nifty piece of kit as it takes up practically no space when travelling, I managed to get rid of the rotary drier on ebay and never regretted it. We have 3 kids, never had to pay a penny to dry the washing these holidays and had a neat awning:)

I paid

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Kerry

Gill
kerry,

If you go to the argos website and search for 850/0021 it is something like that but better quality. I have seen them in some of the big supermarkets.

Jun 9, 2005
Visit site
If you've been on site long enough to have had to do washing, I imagine the caravan will not be as clean either as when you started out. Would the washing not get dirty being so close to the van? Also, given the stuff my daughter likes, I would think a few scratches from buckles, zips buttons and so on might result

Jun 16, 2006
Visit site
On the older style of vans where manoevering handles are not part of the trim you can put wooden blocks with a line between.

I first saw the idea on a 'van belonging to a Dutch couple.

A simple idea where you can have lines running the length of your van rather like those retractable lines available to go over your bath.

How about hanging the out of window type into your awning and placing a fan heater on the ground underneath? Not so good in the summer!!!

Sep 7, 2006
Visit site
I decided to go with the line Jason recommended. I recieved my cara-line this morning and tried it on the van straight away. It so simple to use I can't believe I struggled the whole summer without it. We are going away this comming weekend Chris, so I'll let you know about your concerns. I'm not sure if Ian was trying to make a snide comment, but if the topic doesn't interest you, don't read it. The forum is here to help us enjoy our caravanning, Thank you to all who helped.

Kerry

Sep 14, 2006
Visit site
Hi,

I,m interested in buying one of these washing lines and have tried to log on to cara-line.com without any sucess have I got the right log-in details.

Thanks

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Well, PC have done features on a number of other articles so why not washing lines. Need a good laugh now and then!
That sounds like a slap on the wrist to me !!! and rightly deserved.

I don't know why you snipe about L/H screwdrivers etc or draining boards if you don't like it don't buy it.

Val & Frank

Sep 7, 2006
Visit site
Hi Dorothy, just got back from the Windsor festival, so much to do! This is the address I bought mine from. http://www.cara-line.com, or you could email them on sales@cara-line.com Hope this helps. I still have no regrets about ours.

Kerry

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Kerry,

We have a flat type clothes metal dryer, which is shape and stand is simular to a ironing board,It has two hinged extension both ends, We peg the base of the stand and leave ours up during our visite on site.cost

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Kerry,

We have a flat type clothes metal dryer, which is shape and stand is simular to a ironing board,It has two hinged extension both ends, We peg the base of the stand and leave ours up during our visite on site.cost

Sep 14, 2006
Visit site
Hi Dorothy, just got back from the Windsor festival, so much to do! This is the address I bought mine from. http://www.cara-line.com, or you could email them on sales@cara-line.com Hope this helps. I still have no regrets about ours.

Kerry
Thanks I,ll try this address or e-mail them.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts