chosing a twin axle

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
We have been caravanners for 4 years with a single axle.

Now with 3 teenage boys and 2 dogs we are buying a twin axle.

Our final choices are Bailey GT620/6 or Lunar Quasar 626.

Any opinions on either please. we would like reasons why we should pay extra £2 k on the Lunar.

Also we will tow with a Galaxy 2litre TDCi manual diesal, anyone tow with galaxy a twin axle?

Thanks Jennie

Dec 27, 2006
Visit site
The choice of van is a personal thing, which van suits your needs best.

My only concern would be your tow car, I am no expert on Galaxys but what is the cars weight , also is 2.0 powerful enough for such a large van? What is the torque of the galaxy , also is it auto or manual.

We have a t/a delta 1700kg which we tow with a Grand Cherokee, overall I feel the twin is more stable towing than our previous single axles as it doesnt react so much to passing trucks and coaches on the motorway. Reversing is also easier as again the van is slower in reacting to steering movements when reversing.

Downside is moving the van unhitched , there is no way i can move it and for that reason I got a mover fitted. With 5 of you it may be easier but i would recomend a mover for t/axles.

Mar 21, 2008
Visit site
Hi Jennie,

They're both very light fo twin-axles and your Galaxy should tow either easily.

We tow a single axle 'van with a 2litre TDCi Galaxy (mtplm 1400kg) and it could easily cope with more.

I suggest you have a good look at both caravans - see if the Lunar offers

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
Just been looking at caravan matching and it hows the galaxy as a good match for both vans . As Rupert says they are both light for twin axles.

Try this web site for outfit matching.

]http://www.caravantrekker.nl/whattowcar/basic_index.php
http://www.caravantrekker.nl/whattowcar/basic_index.php[/quote
hi del and rupert

thanks for your comments

we were told our galaxy was ok for towing but nice to hear other drivers comments rather than salesmans!

we went back yesterday and felt the bailey gt60/6 offered us better value and luckily it also is the lighter van.

now we have to sell our windward 500 before xmas to beat the vat rise!

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
hi manda and darren

i am glad the galaxy is ok we dont want to be too much of a slow coach on the roads!

regarding the single side bed i lay down on it yesterday and its ok our youngest is 12 and will fit for a couple more years or its sleeping in the pods off the awning for them!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Nice 2 hear back from u so fast. Our kids r 17,13 and 12(2 boys and a girl). The eldest one doesn't come with us much now, just if we're going 2 a site with fishing. lol. The other 2 sleep at the front of the 'van cos tbh the side bed is quite short at 5'7'. She just fits it but there's not much room 2 stretch out? Think they're all going 2 b tall like their Dad. We have an awning with an inner bedroom if we need it. We often take the kids cousins or my sister with us so the awning comes in handy. It's similar 2 a Sunncamp 390 and has been worth every penny! Do u use Facebook? I'm on there and have photos of our outfit if you're interested? Hope all goes well and if u have any questions I'll try 2 answer them. Manda.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Hi Jennie

I tow our 620/6 GT60 with a 2.0 TDCi ( 140bhp) Mondeo Estate. Car tows with ease and output is very stable.

Not really familiar with the Lunar but the GT60 is very well specced and I cant really see what else you would need. We are really pleased with ours.

I would be inclined to spend the extra

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
hi. i own a bailey senator wyoming twin axel. my 15 year old sleeps in the isabella annex and the 7 year old sleeps on the front seats.

why did you deceide on this layout?.

when i was changing my caravan i did my homework. i rang every bailey dealer in the country to get the best deal. no one could match chipping sodbury caravans. they are a bailey dealer and they are a family buisness. i didnt know you could barter with dealers i just paid the ticket price for my first two vans. it was dustydog on here that told me to barter and put me onto chipping sodbury. i got

Mar 30, 2007
Visit site
Hi

we have a Lunar Quasar 626 which we took delivery of in March. We have had a couple of teething problems with it but Lunar have been very very good to the point where I cannot praise them enough. We have used it for our main holiday a few single week breaks and lots of weekends. We do not find it flimsy and it is hard wearing especiallu with two young kids. We looked at all other makes with thesame layout including Bailey and Sprite but prefered the Lunar. Went to the NEC show last year and got a very very good deal part excahnge on our old van for the new Lunar to the point that it actually worked out cheaper than the Bailey. Even if it had not we would have still gone for the Lunar. My personal choice would be Lunar all the way.

Hope this helps.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts