Christmas Cards.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I get a few messages saying we are donating to a charity xxx instead of sending cards this year.
Mmm. Not sure ?
My cards have cost me circa £70. Includes specials for immediate family.
2nd class stamps were nearly £50. So let’s say I’ve spent £120.

I like getting cards. My family love cards. My distant friends love cards. We all include “ what we have done etc this year news bulletin”.
Is doing no cards and saying I’ve given to a charity a let out?
How much should we donate if no cards?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We donate to four or five specific charities at Christmas, we also buy cards that give a declared donation to a specific charity, not the cards that supermarkets sell with about 10 charity logos on the back. I also buy supplementary stocking fillers from charities on line. This year our cards are from MSF for the fantastic work they do around the world and specifically in Ukraine, RNLI for their work in the Channel and around our coasts, MIND and Dogs Trust.

We too like receiving cards and especially reading any updates on the year gone by. I don’t enclose a letter with cards any longer given the postage costs, so send a letter by email, each one being customised to the particular recipient, not a round Robin. With the recent update to MAC OS I am going to time the despatch of each email letter for one minute past midnight into Christmas Day for the countries they are going to. Anorak or what?

Re how much to donate…….isn’t that a personal thing? But if I were not sending cards any donation would be the combined cost of cards and postage.

Last edited:
Reactions: Len W
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Obviously it's all a matter of personal choice. But especially because of the pandemic, I am genuinely concerned for some charities who have seen income dramatically drop, forcing them to cut back on the valuable work they do. I support a local hospice, and I have seen how they have had to cut back across their range of activities, and how that has affected friends who have needed the type of support the hospice tries to offer.

If every family donated what they spend on Christmas cards to hospices it would go a long way resolving their intense funding crisis.

But it also shocks me to see the size of the greeting cards industry!

But as I began it's all a matter of personal choice.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We buy Christmas cards for close relatives and a handful of friends and neighbours and don't support any charity in particular.
However every year we select 2 or 3 charities that are deserving like the Salvation army, dogs home, British legion and donate to them. Too many charities have CEO with salaries that are simply ridiculous and with only 25p or thereabouts of every £1 donate going to help those in need.
We don't expect Christmas cards as costs of cards and postage are now getting steep and if there are pay rises expect costs to increase to cover the increased wages or salaries. We send virtual cards to relatives and friends overseas.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We love having christmas cards because a lot of them come with news what going on but we do donate to some charities as well

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
I simply cannot see the point of cards any more. They were used many years back when the only real means of communication was the post (no telephones or Internet etc) So they were an excellent way of staying in touch with anyone who you didnt come into personal contact with saying "Hello, I haven't forgotten you and hope you have a wonderful break and here's what I have been up to"

These days everyone has access to relephones and emails etc, plus of course we are no longer dependant on horses for transport so can travel great distances with ease to visit friends, or can communicate, almost instantly, with anyone in the world.

Some years back when I worked at County Hall I instigated a "Cans not cards" collection at Christmas. The idea being that rather than buy cards for work colleagues everyone bought a can of something for the local food bank instead. It was very well supported and I collected several large supermarket trolley loads of cans using money that would otherwise basically end up in the recycling bin having done done noreal good at all. I do hope that tradition has been retained.

So basically, to my mind, cards are a total waste, and the money spent could be put to far better use. I give to various charities by DD all year round, but dont buy, or send, cards.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I am with Mr Plodd. But we do give cards due to family pressure. If it was left to me it would not happen, and I think a charity donation is an excellent alternative.

But, if used in the manner Dusty does, as a method of sharing news. Then thats different. We only do that with one family.

I detest the pressure that the industry and society put on people to go to the expense. Especially at these times. That goes for all the other ‘occasions’ in the year.

I assure you I am no killjoy, though the above may sound like it.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I am with Mr Plodd. But we do give cards due to family pressure. If it was left to me it would not happen, and I think a charity donation is an excellent alternative.

But, if used in the manner Dusty does, as a method of sharing news. Then thats different. We only do that with one family.

I detest the pressure that the industry and society put on people to go to the expense. Especially at these times. That goes for all the other ‘occasions’ in the year.

I assure you I am no killjoy, though the above may sound like it.

John
I’m not sure that it’s the card industry that puts pressure on people to buy cards. It’s more likely to be the precedent based in what you have been doing for years gone by. To not send a card to someone you have been sending to for years is quite difficult for some people to approach. We stopped Christmas present to friends overseas a long while back by discussing it with them. In fact I think they were quite relieved. Now only family and close friends get something for Christmas.

Jun 26, 2022
Visit site
On theses cold frosty days its a real pick me up to find a bunch of Christmas cards in the post box from family and friends instead of the raft of bills and advertising flyers, I'm sticking with Christmas cards. Oxfam Christmas cards Santa and all that traditional stuff, If it isn't broke don't fix it. Merry Christmas to everyone. What better way to show someone you're thinking of them at the coldest time of year. As for charities why cant everyone who can do both?

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Cards are a tradition and people are following that. We send them to family, friends and friendly neighbours and generally buy from charities, this year Barnardos, more because they are the nearest one and we can park outside easily when visiting a local supermarket rather than we support them in particular. I am pretty open minded on the need to send that many, but My wife is a Christmas fanatic and loves to see them up as part of the Christmas decorations.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I’m not sure that it’s the card industry that puts pressure on people to buy cards. It’s more likely to be the precedent based in what you have been doing for years gone by. To not send a card to someone you have been sending to for years is quite difficult for some people to approach. We stopped Christmas present to friends overseas a long while back by discussing it with them. In fact I think they were quite relieved. Now only family and close friends get something for Christmas.

I agree, but thats what I meant by the industry and society.

John

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
'Scrooge' here, ..... This year we have taken the decision to reduce/minimise Christmas card sending. As an 'octogenarian ', I /we decided this year to 'cut back' on cards sent, (as probably 1/2 of what we sent wouldn't be received?) Will anyone be bothered? ----- Shouldn't think so?

• Haha
Reactions: Hutch
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I agree Prof. My thought was differentiating between our normal monthly donations , local Hospice, RSPCA and pancreatic cancer research. A few I know send emails . I fear we may be on the slippery slope of cancelling festivities like Christmas and Easter if we lose the personal touch of a card,
But with stamps do expensive I think I may be joining Clive next year😉

Reactions: otherclive

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
We've cut down the number of cards we post. This year just 7 and about the same delivered by hand locally.

For more distant friends we've started sending eCards. Wasn't sure about this at first but we've had good replies about them.

Reactions: Buckman
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Christmas is a special time to remember loved ones and in cards we send and receive up to date information about their lives which for us is part of the Christmas treat. As I have said all cards and parcels were sent awhile ago to make sure there would be no problems with arrival. With charity giving this is an all year round plan as we give to the Food Bank, animal ones, mind etc on a regular basis, NOT just at Christmas as these are needed the whole year round.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Christmas is a special time to remember loved ones and in cards we send and receive up to date information about their lives which for us is part of the Christmas treat. As I have said all cards and parcels were sent awhile ago to make sure there would be no problems with arrival. With charity giving this is an all year round plan as we give to the Food Bank, animal ones, mind etc on a regular basis, NOT just at Christmas as these are needed the whole year round.

To use cards in such a personal way is fantastic. So good luck to you. Most people, including myself, just write something bland. So we are going through the process as it is expected.

I agree, there are charitable giving opportunities and need year round.

John

Reactions: Beachball

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts