Cisterns - why?

Jul 20, 2005
Visit site
Can anyone explain to me why we use water citerns to store the water to flush the wc in this country? They take ages to refil and, in busy locations, can be a nightmare for those trying to flush when following someone else into the cubicle. In France I have often used loos which have a lever or push flush which dispenses a niagara of water direct from the mains. It's really efficient and can be used time after time. Why don't we do the same?

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
The systems which work on full mains water pressure are always very prone to malfunction and then tend to use a lot more water. They used to be very popular in Germany, too, but for this very same reason they have virtually disappeared.

Besides, if I'm not mistaken, there is a regulation in the UK that toilet flushing systems must rule out the possibility of reverse flow if there is a defect in the system, allowing water to be syphoned back into the mains if the mains pressure drops. The system that you describe is not 100% fail-safe in this respect.

May 5, 2005
Visit site
that is why garden taps and showers have check valves fitted and shower heads have a restrainer if fitted over the bath you need to check your regs if you are a plumber.

Nov 26, 2006
Visit site
I live at the bottom of a hill. A year or so back, the water was cut off for 24 hours while a pipe was replaced. During this period I actually continued to have water from the tap. because it was flowing out of all the pipes further up the hill - including those inside peoples houses. If they had had a shower head left lying in dirty bathwater, with the tap on, that dirty water would have been sucked back into the mains.

So yes, water can flow against the normal direction, and this is why check valves are fitted.

I have just fitted a new loo and cistern, and as the cistern is filled from the mains, not from a roof tank, it takes 12 secs to refill - quite fast enough!

May 5, 2005
Visit site
I am a Gas fitter and have to attend training and assessment every five years to stay registered with Corgi.Plumbers usually do their training and often dont keep up with regulations saying 'it cant happen Doh'

Feb 4, 2007
Visit site
Lutz is at least partially correct there is or used to be a regulation in scotland about back syphon of water. I think at one time all water to domestic toilets had to be supplied from a tank rather than mains. I worked in the trade 30 years ago and my memory of the regulations is vague. Any plumbers here?

Colin.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Well I think without a check valve you will get your own back. While sat on the throne where I do all my philosophising I thought I would try an experiment to confirm this. I went outside and tried peeing into the wind and guess what? I got my own back.

Oct 19, 2005
Visit site
The initial question was why we use water cisterns to flush the WC etc.

Please lets keep to the topic and not digress into who knows what about what, and ending up as a personal war.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
I think it's best to put this argument into it's historical context.

The saying "down the pipe" comes from when in naval ships of old, anyone doing a dump would refer to it as down the pipe (which went into the bilge holding tank).

After awhile, sometimes there was a build up of gas which caused the said dump to back up the pipe, hence the saying "up yours".

This problem was sorted when the Jack Tars mutinied at Spithead in 1797. The ships fitters devised a valve which stopped the Tars getting their own back. This valve is called a Crap Trap.

Nov 26, 2006
Visit site
In connection with backflow prevention, the requirements are contained in "Statutory Instruments 1999 No. 1148

The Water Supply (Water Fittings) Regulations 1999" (as amended by SI 1506), principally Schedule 2, Sections 14, 15 and 24.

The actual detailed requirements for meeting these regulations are set out by the relevant local water authority, and can vary slightly from place to place.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
There is a limit on the size of cistern for water saving but in practice I think that this involves using more water as 2 flushes are often needed

I have recently fitted drop valves instead of the syphon and these give a much more powerful flush with the choice of short or long flushes and use the same cystern/water capacity

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
There is a limit on the size of cistern for water saving but in practice I think that this involves using more water as 2 flushes are often needed

I have recently fitted drop valves instead of the syphon and these give a much more powerful flush with the choice of short or long flushes and use the same cystern/water capacity
Variflush Toilet Drop Valve Modern alternative to the toilet siphon with push-button, dual flush replacing the traditional cistern lever. With internal overflow. UK-made and simple to fit to most cisterns. WRAS approved.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Ours are all push button, one push for full flush and a second push to interrupt, if a full flush is not required. Some cisterns have two push buttons, though.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi lutz

I well remember the powerfull flush on the Berlin toilets

We once had visitors who arrived after midnight and were in panic when they kept on pressing the flush button trying to stop the flush torrent and the loud noise it made.

So they've done away with the mains flushing

Is nothing sacred!

TRENDING THREADS