CLARKSON THE COMPLETE IDIOT.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
THANKS CLARKSON,THAT WAS GREAT SHOW,I HOPE YOU REMOVED THE GAS BOTTLE WHEN YOU SET FIRE TO THAT CARAVAN,YOU COMPLETE IDIOT.SHAME YOU DID NOT SPIL THE CHEMICAL TOILET OVER YOURSELF.

I HOPE THE CARAVAN AND CAMPING CLUB ARE SENDING YOU THE BILL FOR DAMAGING THE PITCH YOU STAYED ON.

100 MILES IN 6 HOURS.ITS CLEAR THAT YOU ALL NEED LESSONS IN HOW TO NAVIGATE,EVEN A NOVICE COULD TRAVEL THAT DISTANCE.

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
Come on people - he's a wind up merchant, the gaffes were so obvious and predictable.

It reminded me of one of those John Cleese films that Management trainees had to watch in the 70's - the only difference being there was no analysis part for students at the end.

I aggree with Andrew, it made me laugh too.

Was that Kia really a towcar of the year - I don't remember that?

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Truthfullly I didn't find it funny at all, so predictable. Theres more humour in Childrens BBC. He did what he intended though, to make all caravanners out to be complete idiots. I doubt if the setting of the caravan on fire was done on a C&CC site either and surely those vanners were actors because nobody could be as gormless as that woman, could they? Hmmmm wait, maybe I'm wrong because I,ve spotted a few on sites.

May 18, 2006
Visit site
I thought it was funny. Anyone who watches Top Gear knows they don't like caravans, so the article was never going to show us in a favourable light. I thought they made fools of themselves when towing, reversing and generally setting up. It was all staged and just done for amusement. I personally don't care what they say about caravanners.

I would have liked to see Clarkson try to reverse the outfit - and let him see that it is not that easy!

Feb 12, 2006
Visit site
I laughed so much I was nearly crying at the end. That should be extended into a 2006 Version of Carry on Camping. JC would be great as Sid James.

I thought we caravanners were supposed to have a sense of humour. No one in their right minds would take any of that seriously.

I would think Vauxhall should be more upset. He really went to town demolishing their high performance Vectra and he even managed to put humour into that.

Nick

Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
Not only did he try to make us 'vanners out to be complete idiots but the scene where they went into the pub at Moreton (with the music from "Deliverance" playing in the background) implied that everyone outside the M25 boundary is a complete moron. It's actually quite a nice pub.

It appeared to have been filmed at the C&CC site at Moreton but whether the actual fire took place there I don't know.

Top Gear, in my opinion, has dumbed down into a general entertainment programme rather than a factual one about cars. Clarkson is full of his own P*** and importance and whenever I see him I'm reminded of the old saying "you can always tell a Yorshireman but you can't tell him much". Mind you, I see he's upsetting the locals on Isle of Man with the new fence round his property so it's not just caravanners he's against!

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
Personally I didnt find it even slightly funny,more the fact of the idiots stereotypical view of caravans which he went to great lengths to demonstrate but in my opinion he showed how inept he was and how good caravanners need to be to tow a van safely.I find it hard to believe that his choice of car was a legal match for the old Eldiss which would be heavy.Three hours to do 50 mile yeah right.Did anyone notice the illegal number plate stuck in the back window which in later shots showed no number plate at all,and in one shot they were towing with the curtains blowing out of the window as it seemed to have no nearside front window.I hope the staged fire was not on a proper site and the onlookers also setup if not it was all very irresponsible.

Apr 4, 2005
Visit site
Oh dear, It would appear from some of the comments above that maybe Clarkson was right, It was so funny, and caravaners are never going to change the minds of those who dislike the very thought of such a pastime. I love our van but I live in the New Forest and every summer you can see the stereotype imaged re enforced time and time again, but we all like different things, I wouldn't tow mine if you paid me. Lighten up chaps and chapesses

Jul 16, 2006
Visit site
come on i think some people have lost the plot a little bit now take it for what it was a joke at our expence.

If the top gear teem reed this forum they got the reaction they where looking for didn't they

more to the point everyone knows what top gear is all about if you don't like it don't watch it

I still say it was very funny and the scarey thing is people do behave like that and as for those of you picking up on legal issues baybe there you

I'll sit back and wait for the fallout now

Cheer's

Andy

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Well nobody can say I haven't a sense of humour from my postings on here but I suppose its at what age level the humour is aimed at I suppose, and whether it hits the mark - in my opinion it hit age 5 - 9 years level :O) How anyone can compare it to the Carry On films is beyond me and to compare those idiots to Sid James or John Cleese is an insult. As I said before, he achieved what he set out to do, to make caravanners sub human idiots. I'm not the least bit offended by it because anyone with an ounce of grey matter knows where Clarkson is coming from and I'm sure I would have found it funny if someone who is more professional did the sketch with a more professional production team. OK I know the BBC have limited resources to pay for professional people but to do it on the cheap like that was bad management policy. Someone said they made themselves out to be complete idiots which was the intention to make us all out to be complete idiots - and it worked by the looks of some of the postings hehheh :O)

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Oh dear, It would appear from some of the comments above that maybe Clarkson was right, It was so funny, and caravaners are never going to change the minds of those who dislike the very thought of such a pastime. I love our van but I live in the New Forest and every summer you can see the stereotype imaged re enforced time and time again, but we all like different things, I wouldn't tow mine if you paid me. Lighten up chaps and chapesses
You wouldn't tow it - couldn't tow it, or are frightened of what others might say about you????

Aug 27, 2005
Visit site
I laughed till I cried. I was laughing so loudly my husband came in from the garden to see what all the fuss was over.

In all my years of watching TV that had to be the funniest thing I have ever seen. The sight of the van tipping back and them all ending up sitting on hammonds knee on the back bunk because of not putting the legs down will stay with me forever. That and the breakfast spam on the broken plates.

Sheer brilliance!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I thought it was funny, if a bit cliched. Perhaps we should try to find the positives in that the negative slant of the prog served to highlighted how many skills caravanners need to tow & caravan safely.

Feb 12, 2006
Visit site
Quote "How anyone can compare it to the Carry On films is beyond me and to compare those idiots to Sid James or John Cleese is an insult."

I happen to think that Clarkson is a very clever and extremely funny person. I met him once briefly when we were both waiting at the luggage carousel in an airport ,and found him extremely entertaining and quite charming Reading through the threads here and on other forums I am certainly not the only one with that opinion.

I think the sad thing, as someone has already pointed out, is that some of the reactions would suggest that caravanners ARE a totally humourless lot who have nothing better to do than sit in their tin tents pondering on when to empty their buckets.

Luckily the vast majority prove that not to be the case.

Jun 23, 2006
Visit site
Quote "How anyone can compare it to the Carry On films is beyond me and to compare those idiots to Sid James or John Cleese is an insult."

I happen to think that Clarkson is a very clever and extremely funny person. I met him once briefly when we were both waiting at the luggage carousel in an airport ,and found him extremely entertaining and quite charming Reading through the threads here and on other forums I am certainly not the only one with that opinion.

I think the sad thing, as someone has already pointed out, is that some of the reactions would suggest that caravanners ARE a totally humourless lot who have nothing better to do than sit in their tin tents pondering on when to empty their buckets.

Luckily the vast majority prove that not to be the case.
I will see the prog tomorrow evening.

When we bought our vans they are cleaned and polished with my chosen polish, they are then left out all winter uncovered and a quick wash down has them looking like new. Never had a problem reselling one.

We pitch up reverse into plot have a laze around and at some point decide when to put the Awning up.

Others survey sites before they attempt to park, get out spirit levels and lines and half a forest of planks or recycled plastic giant lego bricks to get the van set-up and the awning straight and all sparkly. Special tools for pegs and battery drills and they twiddle with aerials and sat dish's for 1/2 an hour of Corrie and polish the van and car and discuss the merits of various waste tanks. I drive a 4 x ? at work and have no beef with them, but I love the caravaning 4 x 4 experts whose only off road experience with their 4.9 sooper dooper luxe model with limited slip diff or something is to manouvere the van across 3 metres of grass a few days each year.

So is it any wonder Caravanners get the mick taken out of them?

Tug a box behind to sit in a field watching Corrie and East Enders or to sit kids in front of the Tweenies or Blue Peter when they do that at home is not my idea of good worth while caravanning.

Oct 28, 2005
Visit site
Nicholas I have to agree with you. I have also met Clarkson at the motorsport show a couple of years ago. He is very funny and a nice guy all round. But he is also very good at his job and last night he was doing his job! He gets paid to get reactions like that and I laughed so much I cried! He is well know not to like Caravans, Bikes, healthfood and dozens of other things. But for many to say he is childish is wrong. He must make sure everything is just right to get it that funny. He and the others involved with that sketch must have planned it all to the finest detail. So I don't agree with Childish but I will say it was more child like! Fun just for the sake of it and the digs at caravaning are just light hearted and use the stereo type.

I have to say many caravanners and possibly some here fit in to that stereo type and just get angry because it touches a nerve because it is close to the bone. There are many here who do not fit that stereo type and caravan for many reasons outside the typical stereo type. I had a conversation with one of the journo's from one of the caravan magazines and said that typical caravanners were part of the ageing population and he did not agree, but someone in the 40 year plus age group is more typical of caravanners than in the 30 year age group. The most visible age group are those in the late 50's through retirement age these are the ones who give Caravanning this stereo type of slow moving, sitting in a field drinking tea, bird watching duffer.

I have to say if Clarkson came with me it would have been very different with motorcycle racing, jet skiing, snow boarding or skiing and kayaking being my pastimes of choice. But that would not have been funny....

LB I don't think your forum name is helping your cause just because it does relate to childish toilet humour. I don't think you are childish, your reaction to Top Gear shows you to have a serious side, but I would be careful when calling others childish.(Just a tip...)

Jun 23, 2006
Visit site
I will see the prog tomorrow evening.

When we bought our vans they are cleaned and polished with my chosen polish, they are then left out all winter uncovered and a quick wash down has them looking like new. Never had a problem reselling one.

We pitch up reverse into plot have a laze around and at some point decide when to put the Awning up.

Others survey sites before they attempt to park, get out spirit levels and lines and half a forest of planks or recycled plastic giant lego bricks to get the van set-up and the awning straight and all sparkly. Special tools for pegs and battery drills and they twiddle with aerials and sat dish's for 1/2 an hour of Corrie and polish the van and car and discuss the merits of various waste tanks. I drive a 4 x ? at work and have no beef with them, but I love the caravaning 4 x 4 experts whose only off road experience with their 4.9 sooper dooper luxe model with limited slip diff or something is to manouvere the van across 3 metres of grass a few days each year.

So is it any wonder Caravanners get the mick taken out of them?

Tug a box behind to sit in a field watching Corrie and East Enders or to sit kids in front of the Tweenies or Blue Peter when they do that at home is not my idea of good worth while caravanning.

Jul 13, 2006
Visit site
I tried hard to laugh, though I did smile briefly a couple of times. Regrettably, schoolboy humour no longer really does it for me. What is increasingly comical is the way that Clarkson's disappearing hair is elongating his head. Until his afro diminished, I never realised that he was only 5 feet six with a two foot head. Hammond should try and get it tansplanted if he too would like to be 6 feet six.

Jun 5, 2005
Visit site
Every one knows what Clarkson is like , if you don't like him then don't watch him.

Surely though this particular programme should be compulsary viewing for every one thinking of buying a carvan , just think how much they could learn from it.

Regards

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Maybe just a coincidendence but four people who post jokes etc. on this forum on a regular basis think it was a load of childish crap yet two people who have never posted a humourous post thinks it was hilarious - hmmmm - oh well - just an observation ;O) hehheh!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts