Cleaning - basic question.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
For the first time I have a caravan without the aluminium side wall and roof, its GRP with the Swift Smart HT construction. In the past I have always relied on Fenwicks to clean the caravan, is this still good for caravans of this construction or is there something else on the market more suitable. Also, what polish would be the best for GRP sidewalls?

The book is a bit vague, it just says non acid or alkaline cleaners, just mild detergent.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
I use Autoglym for mine , super resin polish , then Autoglym deep screen clean polish for the windows to bring them up new , comes up better than showroom condition if I may sayso so myself :p
Not a 5 minute job though so give yourself plenty of time. I think I spent 3 hours on ours last time .

Then dont forget your tyre black stuff from any B&M stores then tyre spray to Black them off to bring up brand new :)

Crack on Thingy !! :lol:

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Looks good. Do you want to do mine. Supposed to be off in our travels a week Sunday with new van nrw awning but i caught a cough from one of thr grandsons and its turned into a rather nasty chest infection. Hols now touch and go. Havent the energy for a 3 hour polish job.

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Hi Thingy, Fenwicks, as stated on the bottle, has been around for 25 yrs. It was the first cleaner made especially for caravans to suit all the differing plastics and finishes used in the construction of the modern Caravan.Bobby Dazzler was made to take the work out polishing, and it does. Cheers Jrs-

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Grey13 said:
Anyone use a jet washer (karcher) on their van adding cleaner solvent?

Jet washers can damage the seals allowing water ingress. I use a hose nozzle set to fan spray configuration which can be adjusted if I want to reduce intensity further.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
otherclive said:
Grey13 said:
Anyone use a jet washer (karcher) on their van adding cleaner solvent?

Jet washers can damage the seals allowing water ingress. I use a hose nozzle set to fan spray configuration which can be adjusted if I want to reduce intensity further.

Same method as me .

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Hi, you can use Fenwicks caravan products In the knowledge that Fenwicks only use the greenest and most Bio degradable raw materials available today and always have. Cheers Jrs

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
JRS1 said:
Hi, you can use Fenwicks caravan products In the knowledge that Fenwicks only use the greenest and most Bio degradable raw materials available today and always have. Cheers Jrs

What evidence do you have to support your statement? Notwithstanding I’ve used Fenwicks cleaner, Bobby Dazzler and Overwintering for a long time and they do work. Then Autoglym resin polish occasionally if I’m feeling enthusiastic.

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
Thingy said:
For the first time I have a caravan without the aluminium side wall and roof, its GRP with the Swift Smart HT construction. In the past I have always relied on Fenwicks to clean the caravan, is this still good for caravans of this construction or is there something else on the market more suitable. Also, what polish would be the best for GRP sidewalls?

The book is a bit vague, it just says non acid or alkaline cleaners, just mild detergent.

Thingy, I have just used the same cleaning products used on my car; only difference is I do not use a pressure washer. Not had cause to polish the caravan yet, but I have used a clay bar (Bilt Hamber soft) to remove tar and bug spots, plus some wayward sealant on panels.
Products:
Autoglym Bodywork Shampoo.
AutoGlym Fast Glass (suitable for acrylic windows)
Tyres dressed with Meguiars Endurance Tyre Gel.
Sides, front and rear panels treated with GTechniq C2 Liquid Crystal
All windows treated with GTechniq G5 Water Repellent Coating

I have abandoned the wax and used the more technical products by GTechniq, as they perform really well and much easier to apply; their C2 v3 Liquid Crystall is a spray-on/wipe-off ceramic coating. It makes the water bead off the surface you apply it to. It lasts about 6 months, so they say. I topped it up after 3 months and used much less product (I think I was a tad trigger happy on the first application). But it does make cleaning much easier, bug splats can be removed with just normal washing (more relevant on the car) and it can be layered on top of traditional waxes as a final stage if you like.

GTechniq confirmed that both C2 and G5 is safe for RV applications: ABS/GRP/Acrylic

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I would never dream of using a pressure washer on the caravan or car, its for the patio only. We use fast glass a lot on the car, didnt occur to me to try it on the caravan.
I use Meguiars 3 stage system on the car and it comes up a dream. That said, reading all this and the amount of work, I may get Tourershine in the spring.

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
Thingy said:
I would never dream of using a pressure washer on the caravan or car, its for the patio only. We use fast glass a lot on the car, didnt occur to me to try it on the caravan.
I use Meguiars 3 stage system on the car and it comes up a dream. That said, reading all this and the amount of work, I may get Tourershine in the spring.

No issues using a pressure washer on the car paintwork. The fan shaped spray pattern won't do any damage, unless there is damage already there. The dirt blaster might take some paint off though. https://www.kaercher.com/uk/accessory/dirt-blaster-pressure-washer-lance-26432440.html

I will admit, I cleaned 2 cars and the caravan before my last trip and was absolutely done in. Cleaned my car and the caravan again when we got back, Gtechniq coating made it easier, but I was about ready to drop when I got to the last bit. I also cleaned the toilet cassette, but didn't get the time/energy to clean the inside of either car or van. I always try to do too much in one go.

Edit: Regarding car detailing, the experts seems to prefer as little contact washing as possible to reduce wash marring; pressure washing and snow-foams are used to reduce dirt & grit on the surface.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
CustardAvenger said:
Thingy said:

No issues using a pressure washer on the car paintwork. The fan shaped spray pattern won't do any damage, unless there is damage already there. The dirt blaster might take some paint off though. https://www.kaercher.com/uk/accessory/dirt-blaster-pressure-washer-lance-26432440.html

I will admit, I cleaned 2 cars and the caravan before my last trip and was absolutely done in. Cleaned my car and the caravan again when we got back, Gtechniq coating made it easier, but I was about ready to drop when I got to the last bit. I also cleaned the toilet cassette, but didn't get the time/energy to clean the inside of either car or van. I always try to do too much in one go.

Edit: Regarding car detailing, the experts seems to prefer as little contact washing as possible to reduce wash marring; pressure washing and snow-foams are used to reduce dirt & grit on the surface.

Like the experts I always spray the car first with a fan spray. Then I use a Meguirs mitt to ladle shampoo over the areas. Leave the shampoo for a couple of minutes then spray fan the areas before using a clean bucket of shampoo and a different clean mitt.

Jun 1, 2018
Visit site
Yes I have used my Karcher using light spray setting. The cleaner goes on ok but on the top it settles in places so you have to make sure it does not dry before rinsing. On the sides it makes a quick job apart from black streaks that have to be rubbed off before rinsing.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Dodger524 said:
If caravans were meant to be cleaned then they would fit through a auto car wash.

Must admit I am quite shamed by those on the website that wash the van before and after each trip. Earlier this year I rolled up to Wheathills in Shropshire and parked up next to Dusty Dog and whereas their van looked good ours looked as if it had had an argument with a muck spreader. Embarrassed to say it had been like that since we left Cornwall at New Year After Dusty left another caravan arrived late at night and pitched up. At 0730 we could hear activity outside and the two ladies we’re busily washing the car and caravan. Doubt that I would qualify for any rank in the Order of Woosies :)

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
This isn't an answer to the original question - now and again similar questions are raised about caravan cleaning but I've never heard of anyone that has had a bad experience using common cleaning solutions such as car shampoo,dish washing up liquid soap etc.
Personally I've used car shampoo for years on different caravans without problem.

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
I cleaned after my last trip as it had 1000 miles of crap all over it... I'm not too bothered how the van looks when I'm away... that being said I do take AG Fast Glass and Meguiars Quick Detailer, with some microfibre cloths so I can give the front a once over before the towing cover goes back on.

I did give the back panel a clean on site, as black streaks had gone bananas!

Incidentally, here are some images of the rain beading off the caravan and car with the Gtechniq C2:
001.jpg

002.jpg

20180917_072146.jpg

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
There's only one Bobby Dazzler----- made especially for the DIY caravanner a cost effective quick and easy way to protect your unit

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Well that's the winter wash and wax done today . I've spent nearly 5 hours doing it and I can't remember ; but for the person who called me half a job last time , I've actually getting the roof done B) !

Spotless !

Only because my father in-laws platform was still at mine and I took advantage of it ; what a great piece of kit :p

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
Well that's the winter wash and wax done today . I've spent nearly 5 hours doing it and I can't remember ; but for the person who called me half a job last time , I've actually getting the roof done B) !

Spotless !

Only because my father in-laws platform was still at mine and I took advantage of it ; what a great piece of kit :p

Good job done. What make is the platform?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts