Cleaning the roof

Apr 23, 2007
Visit site
I'm about to clean my caravan for the very first time.

1. How do you good people clean the roof? I was going to put a small ladder up against the side but this could damage it?

2. Can I use normal car shampoo or do I need a special cleaner?

Many thanks

Ian

Apr 9, 2007
Visit site
I use a A frame step ladder and an extension pole on my mop plus hose and normal shampoo plus whatever is your choice of wax etc.No problem.
Hi Ian

i use a ladder and lean it on awning rail i protect the ends with pipe lagging to stop damaging rail.

I used car shampoo then i polised roof with auto glym looks good now mark

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
Hi Ian,

I found that my multi purpose ladder was not high enough in A frame mode. I use it extended, tape a piece of thick foam around the top to avoid damage and spread the load, lean it against the roof/wall/awning rail joint where it will strongest.

I use an extending pole hose brush (the type that has a built in shampoo container) Halfords do one that uses soap sticks for instance.

Regards

Bill Dawes

Nov 28, 2007
Visit site
we confirmed with Bailey that the roof will support the weight of an adult (actually if you look at their advertising literature you can see that they've had several people standing on the roof) - we've then got our 10 year old grandson up on top to give it a thorough clean, especially around all the roof openings - we haven't yet got him to polish it as well though.

Jun 12, 2006
Visit site
I use a double ladder, half to get up and lay the other half across so it's resting on the edges of the van, plank of wood over the rungs and hey presto, a walkway.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts