Climate Control when towing

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Is it OK to use this, I have noticed my fan is on constantly (not sure if I have a fault) when I put the climate Control on. I have a Rover 75 2litre V6, hence I was wondering the effect when you then add a van to the back of the car as well?

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Unless the manufacturer makes an explicit recommendation to the contrary in the owner's manual, one can safely assume that climate control may be switched on also when towing. This sort of thing should have been taken into account when the maximum permissible towloads were established.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
OK Thanks Lutz.
I have a Rover 75 2ltr CDTi Connosseur SE and find that the fan will come on and alter speeds to adjust the temperture to the setting which has been selected No problms towing a 15kgs Bailey Oklahoma

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have had several cars with air con/climate control and have always used it when towing.

Switching it off on long motorway hills seemed to make very little difference to available power and considerable difference to passenger comfort especially on those long tows to Spain etc.

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
About 10 or 12 years ago I had a Honda Prelude VTEC with manual air-conditioning, and you could feel the difference in performance with the air-co on/off.

Any modern car with air-co or climate control will be using the new low power technology systems, and you should not be able to tell the difference between driving with the system on or off, except for a very slight increase in fuel consumption, and hot passengers.

Robert

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I think the issue being referred to was more a matter of whether the use of air conditioning would aggravate an engine cooling problem than the effect of loss of performance.

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Good point. I read the question from a loss of engine power viewpoint, which would mean needing to increase the throttle position to maintain the same speed.

Now the power requirements are so low they shouldn't affect engine cooling, and the manufacturer will (should?) have verified the car with the A/C on

Robert

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Older designs with air-con were wired so that the electric cooling fan(s) came on, usually at half speed, if the air-con was in use. Later designs of air-con / climate control have a microprocessor controlling the fan(s). This enables a faster warm up as the fan doesn't come in until needed. If your Rover fan is on all the time if air-con is used, it's probably just the older design.

On ANY car fitted with electric fan(s), BEWARE they may start up automatically even if the engine / ignition is off. They'll take fingers off, no trouble!

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
Your 75 is like my MG ZT and is designed for the fan to run while the aircon is on. the speed of the fan is computer controled and has nothing to do with being an old design.

I towed with the MG several times last year and we always run with the aircon on. never had any problems at all.

Just make yourself comfy with the air con and do not worry about it

Steve

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have a passat tdi and VW recommend in the handbook that you keep the climate control in auto all the time, which of course means the fan is on all the time

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
Definately Lutz, As a qualified airconditioning engineer i can assure you that if the climate control or manual a/c is switched on then the condenser fan will run continually, this is becouse the refrigerant in this section of the system requires cooling to lower the pressure and return it to a liquid state ready for the next cycle of evaporation. I have never seen a vehicle with high pressure switche controlling the fan as this would cost money and create another potential fault problem for the manufacturer, most modern cars have two fans one for the a/c and one for the enginge cooling, my balhambra does as does a friends range rover and my fathers shogun, i have had a look at the technical drawing for the rover 75 and this also shows two fans although my drawing is for the diesel not the v6. my alhambra with the vw 130 bhp tdi engine states that the climate control should be left in auto but i have found that i get around 15 % better fuel efficiency without it so in winter when i only need heating i will switch it to manual, no point running the a/c compressor especially as they are around 300 pounds to replace, also in the towing section of the manual it does state that the a/c should be switched off when travelling up long inclines whilst towing heavy traillers.

On a further not for anyone with a/c fitted whether it be auto or manual you must run the system for at least 5 minuites every month to lubricate the packing seal on the main shaft as this could dry out and leak the refrigerant from your sytem, at best you will need a recharge at worst a new compressor.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts