Closed to further replies

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
I've seen some entries that have "not open to further replies".
It's not the number of replies that stops more replies - what is it that causes this to happen.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I've seen some entries that have "not open to further replies".
It's not the number of replies that stops more replies - what is it that causes this to happen.
Often it is where a very old thread is resurrected and the original correspondents are probably no longer active in the Forum. So the Mods lock it.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
There are a number of reasons why a topic is locked.

As Otherclive has said sometimes it is because a very old topic is resurrected, usually by someone testing the system in advance of spamming the whole Forum.

Other reasons are when topics become too heated and the topic results in untoward personal attacks on other members, or when base language is used which breaches the rules.
The Forum is read by all ages and in that respect, moderate language is expected and strictly enforced.

Locking topics is not taken lightly and every effort is made to avoid doing it, but sometimes this approach is ignored and that is when it gets locked.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I locked a topic earlier this week.
A new member resurrected a topic that was 14 years old.
Necro posting as it is known is against forum rules.
The new person had nothing new to add and I locked the topic to prevent a pile in of comments that had already been discussed 14 years earlier.
Nobody has missed anything with this locking of the topic, it can still be read but we'd prefer new topics, not 14 year old comments in which spammers often try to hide their unauthorised adverts.

Reactions: DaveA1
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I think what some times happens is a new forum member searches for an item ( filter blocked ) and it comes back with a years old thread.

Reactions: Galgo slave

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I think what some times happens is a new forum member searches for an item ( filter blocked ) and it comes back with a years old thread.
You're probably right Hutch, so rather than deleting the new members comment to make the old thread disappear back into obscurity it's better to allow the new members comment to stay and to prevent further replies by locking the thread.
That way the new member won't be discouraged from posting again and we won't have endless threads repeating what's already been said.

Reactions: Hutch
Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I reported one of my threads a couple of weeks back, about insulated under floor blow air piping. Offering a link to a web site that had nothing to do with Truma heating. Thread still there, comment taken off. Was it a scam or advertising??

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts