CLs and CSs, Members and Non-Members

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi! We've belonged to both caravan clubs for six years, but I still haven't worked out why some of their sites allow non-members, while others don't. Nor have I discovered how some CLs/CSs can be advertised as 5-outfit sites and then you find they have more places available. One site in Northumberland had 5 pitches set aside as its caravanning club area, while in the same field were more pitches which were its 'commercial site'. Does anyone know anything about either of these situations? It doesn't bother me exactly, but I'm quite curious.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The rule of 5 really is two fold.
Part Local Authority Licences and part club rules.
One CL I use a lot has 5 in the main field yet the bottom field is for her "family" visitors and can have another 5 at her discretion. I've been one of those family members many a time. I guess it's all about how the owner interprets the "rules".

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Yes that happen to us on the last B/H as we booked a C.S site just after Xmas, thinking great looking forward to it,
Then off we go got there and when to book in, Sorry no name in our book for you to say on our C.S site. Told them we booked it after Xmas, in the end we found out the owner some old dear been booking everybody on this site for B/H,
How can anyone over book a site for 5 van only, I was reallt P------ OFF, Told wife that it going home as we got in the car to drive off a lady pulled up an said is your name so so, Yes we said oh you booked in to my site C,L told her that we booked in with the C.S not C.L ,
Lucky we are menber of both club so off we go get set up, then she said don't worry about the payment we collet later fine !
But over the weekend there was 14 van on this C.L site, so I ask why 14 vans on here instead of 5, They said it was a over spill for our other site that take 100 vans and tents, then we found out that they collect cash only,
So monday morning we left early still haven't been round for the money, got home phone them and told them that the cheque in the post, They did't like that at all, as we won't be going there again, was really let down by their service to member,Trevor123

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
trevor123 said:
Hi Yes that happen to us on the last B/H as we booked a C.S site just after Xmas, thinking great looking forward to it,
Then off we go got there and when to book in, Sorry no name in our book for you to say on our C.S site. Told them we booked it after Xmas, in the end we found out the owner some old dear been booking everybody on this site for B/H,
How can anyone over book a site for 5 van only, I was reallt P------ OFF, Told wife that it going home as we got in the car to drive off a lady pulled up an said is your name so so, Yes we said oh you booked in to my site C,L told her that we booked in with the C.S not C.L ,
Lucky we are menber of both club so off we go get set up, then she said don't worry about the payment we collet later fine !
But over the weekend there was 14 van on this C.L site, so I ask why 14 vans on here instead of 5, They said it was a over spill for our other site that take 100 vans and tents, then we found out that they collect cash only,
So monday morning we left early still haven't been round for the money, got home phone them and told them that the cheque in the post, They did't like that at all, as we won't be going there again, was really let down by their service to member,Trevor123

This really is PP performance.
smiley-yell.gif

Time for the PC guys to relax the forum rules and allow name and shame.
smiley-smile.gif

I certainly don't want to go t here after what Trevor has said.

Apr 9, 2006
Visit site
Loadsadogs, we think we have recently been on the CL in Northumberland that you mentioned. Yes, they have five pitches for CC members and four 'commercial' pitches, all on the same patch. We were lucky that we got a pitch at the front, overlooking countryside and would have hated to have been on the pitch at the back, with a view into a barn. Although they do seem to save the outer pitches for CC members. All 9 pitches share the same wc and shower.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Meals on Wheels, sounds like the same place. Guess where we were? Yep, at the back near the barn. Never mind, we did walk up the lane and the sea view was fab. Northumberland is another world.

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
If you are on a CL or CL that is over the limit you should really report it to the CC or CCC as it is their exemption certificate that is being abused. I can understand the odd night where there might be an extra caravan do to unforeseen circumstances or a booking error but to deliberately overbook is simply wrong and spoils the enjoyment of those expecting a quiet site. Some CS sites do have a few extra tents but that is normally within their licensing restrictions and should be expected.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
graham_somersham said:
If you are on a CL or CL that is over the limit you should really report it to the CC or CCC as it is their exemption certificate that is being abused. I can understand the odd night where there might be an extra caravan do to unforeseen circumstances or a booking error but to deliberately overbook is simply wrong and spoils the enjoyment of those expecting a quiet site. Some CS sites do have a few extra tents but that is normally within their licensing restrictions and should be expected.

I can understand over booking as on more than one occasion, people have simply not pitched up and the owner has been left out of pocket.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Yes, I think it's entirely understandable when site owners are flexible about the 5-van rule, not just because of the no-shows, but to cope with people's booking changes. IMHO it does no harm overlapping a couple of bookings now and then and we've even had one site owner explain what he was doing in case it bothered us, which it didn't.

CC and CCC sites are regularly inspected, so I think they must already be aware that some CLs and CSs go a bit over their quota.

Since Google came into being, we always check out a site in aerial view before booking it. Not only can you see whether there's a big commercial site on the other side of the fence, but sometimes you even get a street view, which helps when you're crawling along trying to spot the name of the farm before you overshoot it and have to turn round.

Wish I'd Googled the site which turned out to be next to a Highways Agency depot. We were there during a cold snap and the Highways gritters were coming and going all night with their reversing alarms going. Thankfully, the Wardens let us move pitch the next day. I think that might have been a 5-star site too, but I wasn't a happy bunny.

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Both CS and CL exist only by exemption certificate issued by the government and are only for 5 vans and everyone must be a member. If there are more than 5 vans included apparently empty ones then they are breaking the law and also the terms of the clubs' licenses. Both clubs say the member should not stay if they would make more than 5 overnight. For a CL you need to be a member before you arrive. For a CS you can join on site. CSs can also have as many tents as they can fit on.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts