Cl's around Liverpool

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
My wife has wanted to visit Liverpool for sometime and this May we are going to make it happen, I have looked at some CL's just north of the city and plan to bus in. Any recommendations for a quiet...friendly site appreciated.
Norman

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Not a CL,but if you look at the current Prac Caravan there is a feature on the CC Wirral Country Park site. This is a nice site overlooking the Dee estury and is a good location for all of the sites of this peninsular and beyond. You can get day rover tickets which allow you to use buses, trains Under and Ferrys across the Mersey, for a very reasonable price. The boat club not far from the site entrance has a bar that is open on a wednesday and has a very friendly membership you can talk to.The static site, as you approach the CC site, also have a club, but I think its openings is limited to weekends and hols. Liverpool can't be seen in a day, there is just so much to explore and thats from someone who has been there, its fairly local 30miles, on countless occasions. Have a nice time, and don't forget to visit the Albert Dock and Pier Head.
Bri

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
Bri
Many thanks for the reply, thought I could do Liverpool in one day and then 3 or 4 birdwatching on the coast, not looking likely. Friends put the idea of visiting the city into my wifes head and when you ask her what she wants to do there, she is just a bit vague. The Beatles museum is on her list, but to me it just looks like a collection of gold disc's, not too interesting. I believe the Cavern is a reconstruction. I think walking the waterfront will be interesting and hope that there is something about the days when it was a great port.
Liverpool here we come!

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Why not stay at Southport CC site.Trains up the road and 20 mins to Liverpool ,and up the road in the opposite direction :http://www.rspbliverpool.org.uk/RSPBmarshside.htm

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As Mulsy said, Southport is OK and there is a nice area for the birds on the coast road towards Hesketh Bank with some parking. A walk across to Hilbre Island at low water is nice and you can see quite a lot of different birds there. On my last visit, we watched two Perrigrins takeing it in turn, trying to catch a Pigeon.They went far out of sight so never knew if they caught it. Park gate on the Wirral is also quite good and a walk along the Dee estuary from the CC site at low water, will bag you Little Egrets, Curlew, Sheld duck and countless waders
Your wife should enjoy Albert Dock, there is a free museum and other things to see and will kill a few hours. City centre is OK for the shopping and China town ok for a meal. New Brighton and Hoylake is nice and again OK for some birds on the estuary flats
The Southport site is 10 min walk from Lord Street with loads of outlets and 5 min from Morrisons supermarket for supplies. It always facinates me, driving along the dock road and wandring just how it was when all the warehouses where in full swing. Alas no more.
I'm sure your wife will find pleanty to see.
Bri

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
Bri

Booked a CL in Lydiate for 4 nights in May. There is a bus stop right outside, so getting into Liverpool should be a doddle. Also booked 3 nights in Derbyshire on the way home to Norfolk.
Thanks for the info, especially about the birds, my main interest. I am going to have one full day in Liverpool and then a look around the coastal area.
Many thanks
Norman

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Norman,
Together with Morecambe Bay , and the Ribble and Dee estuaries, the Mersey forms part of Europe ’s most important wetlands network for wintering and passage birds, hosting almost a million every year. There are numerous sites to participate in your hobby and further details can be found on the following link:
http://www.rspbliverpool.org.uk/index.htm

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi is the site a lyidate nr a riding stables i rang this site thee other day to be told they where closing an not taking bookings

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
I'm not sure about the riding stables, this one has windmill in it's name. I had no trouble booking, so would suggest not the same one. Just checked the book and there is only one for Lydiate?

I have a booking so not worried.
Regards.

Norman

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi please could you tell me if you had it out of the ccc book and is it owned by mr knight or if you have the number of the place you are staying
thanks from sue

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
Sue

The site is on page 404 of the Caravan Club Handbook....not too sure about the Forum rules about passing phone numbers around.
If someone gives me the ok, I will happily pass it on, but it should be easy enough to look it up.

Norman

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
thanks for that we are going southport tomoz till sunday so will have a look site we are going on is £17 odd a night thanks again i was looking in the ccc book

TRENDING THREADS