CL's Without EHU

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
We have just spent another lovely weekend at a favorite CL of ours (water tap, bin and chemical emptying point only) which, whenever you book up - well you don't have to really - there is never anybody else there.

We have come to the conclusion, and after many years of local research, that the CLs with EHU, are the favoured sites, and lovely dairy farms where they actually stipulate that pets are VERY welcome, and children of course, because there isn't any electric, nobody wants to use them.

Do the modern caravanners realise that nowadays you can run the fridge, heating, and water heating on gas. If you need to watch TV you can on 12v (we never bother with TV),but all these lovely places are seemingly forgotten about for those reasons, and of course, the lack of facilites.

What do other CL users think?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Wendy, not sure what you mean by ' now days you can run the fridge etc from gas'. When I started that was the only way to do it and even the lamps were gas (on older vans at least).

I am not sure why CL's are not used more. It cannot be because of the electric only as there are hundreds of temporary holiday sites run by local sections of the C&CC that require own sanitation and have no EHU. Weekend rallies at both clubs are mainly no EHU and are well attended as are the THS's.

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Ray, I agree with you entirely, the days of sitting around the gas mantle for the extra bit of warmth as well as light...loved it.

When you read other postings on this forum where people are saying they are using a CL for the first time NO EHU, how do I light the fridge etc.

We tried three other CLs with EHU this last weekend and all were booked. Yet we were the only ones on the non EHU site....I can't understand it!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Wendy, I can't understand it either. I stayed at a Temporary Holiday Site, run by the Yorkshire Region, held at York Cricket and Rugby ground. It was a gentle 20 min stroll into York and all for

Aug 1, 2005
Visit site
I think I might give these sites a go, youve talked them up for me. Unless there is a pub in short walking distance we tend to stay in and watch a dvd, with a glass or two of wine. As I have back probs I cant walk very far or stand in a crowded bar, (or sit on a stool for long). Our lights and water pump run off two 12V batteries, so no probs there. But what about the TV dvd combi? Is this what inverters are for? How long would our batteries run the tv and lights for? What do you do about heating?

PS we are in an old van with no 12S feed. We have a gas fridge. We use 2 car batteries (both 55ah) which we charge at home using a bench charger. We have found that they do us for a week away without recharge.

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Hi Alyson,

I haven't got a clue about inverters as we never watch TV in the 'van. No doubt somebody will be able to give you some advice about what to do.

As for heating.....gas again.The van gets alot warmer when the heater is running on gas and with a little blast of hot air.....lovely.....much nicer than being at home!!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts