clutch smelling

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have a Volkswagen Passattt

estate 2000.1.9 TDI 115BHP

The problem is the clutch smells if I reverse my Brand new Bailey Pageant Loire.

I have just had the braking system checked by the supplying dealer. No fault found.Any other Passatt owner experienced this and got any answrers please.

David Forfar

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
David, this sounds like a case of simple overheating of your clutch, causing the driven plates to smoke due to the extra weight on the car, not letting the clutch fully out and using higher revs to move the van. If you keep doing this it will do the following,,,,glaze your clutch plates, causing them to slip and secondly, burnm the clutch out, both end results meaning a new clutch.

Why not think about a caravan mover, saves the extra wear on your car, and expensive repairs.

Ian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
This also apears to be a problem on my 04 plate Skoda Superb 1.9 tdi 130 bhp, reversing a Abbey 415 GTS Vogue, is this a problem with clutch plates on VAG cars as a friends 1 year old Passat 1.9 tdi estate burnt out last summer also

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Looks like its a problem with VAG cars. I have just traded in an 2002 Octavia 1.9TDI (110), which used to do exactly the same thing. Now have a Mondeo 130TDI, no problems with a burning smell when reversing.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The clutch on my Bora also doesn't like reversing the van up a small incline. Seems like an inherent fault in VAG vehicles - too small a clutch perhaps for the size of vehicle?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Friend of mine had exactly the same with brand new Passat estate. Dealer said it was normal and clutch wearing in! Now changed car. It is not exactly asking a lot to reverse a caravan up a small incline (my friends used to smoke reversing up a speed buno outside his house.) Not seen any mention of this in Practical Caravan road tests.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Dave;

Please don't take this the wrong way, but it may be down to bad driving technique. I have had the same problem with my past three cars, being a Jeep Cherokee, Peugeot 407 & Volvo 850. The problem is, it's very hard to keep your left foot off the clutch when reversing into a tight pitch. This means you have an increased load on the vehicle, because of the van and you are slipping the clutch by having foot on peddle. Try getting into the habbit of taking foot off clutch when reversing, I know it's hard when trying to move your van slowly up a hill. I gave up trying and went for an automatic. It's much easier.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We are having the same trouble with an 03 Vauxhall Vectra we also have to reverse up a slight incline

Hubby sometimes manages not to burn the clutch he says it's down to him not using the clutch so much and othertimes he forgets so uses it more and it results to the burning smell

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I agree with the sentiment that this is a problem with VAG cars. I had a 2001 Passat TDI 130 estate, where the clutch went after 16K miles. When I changed my van 9 months later to a Pageant Loire, it was showing signs of going again. I changed it for a Freelander TD4 which tows up hill & down dale quite happily. I remember when the Skoda Superb V6 TDI(a passat clone) won towcar of the year. The 1.9 130bhp model was remarked on having a "weak clutch". This seems to be borne out in the replies to this thread.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
David, I recently had exactly the same car and due to the fact that i tried reversing my van up an incline and didnt realise that the nearside steady leg was stuck into a slight rise in the campsite, i had exactly the same problems - it clutch burned and caused the smell. After this event, i always was very wary of reversing the outfit up any hill and actually the clutch was never the same again - i leant my lesson. I now have an Audi A6 Avant and during manoeuvures recently had the same smell - looks like a standard VAG group problem - so beware! David

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I've got a Passat 1.9Tdi 2002 model, 62,000 hard and fast miles of which 10,000 have been towing - never had any burning smells from the clutch (still orginal) because I don't slip it excessively!!!! Nothing more annoying than someone reversing onto a pitch revving the engine, especially with a diesel that can move on tickover by just lifting the clutch without depressing the accelerator even with a loaded caravan (1300kg) on the back!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Peter Corfe is absolutly right, im on my second Passat tdi 130 pd with no problems whatsoever,do not blame VAG for your poor reversing ,with 230 lbs torque from engine side an resistance of 1500 kgs van on other side the clutch is likely to protest if abused,a car is not designed for for caravan use otherwise it would have an ultra low reverse gear,its a compromise,i am no fan of chelsea tractors but they do have a choice of low/high gearing

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
i have a 052 sharon 115 tdi we have the same problem a burning smell which can take several days to go.we have to reverse up a slight incline and if we dont get it right first go it will start to smell .i have no problems towing and think its a good tow car maybe we are asking alot to push 1.5 tonnes in reverse uphill we have decided to save for a caravan mover for next year.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Interesting to note that the only car that did not survive the TCoY 2005 competition was the VW Caravelle which was "withdrawn after it developed clutch trouble"!! - John

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
A common problem with all front wheel drive. As previous posts have quite rightly mentioned increased revs and incomplete engagement of clutch lends itself to premeture wear and clutch burn. Also on a FWD vehicle in reverse, the front wheels become the "rear drive" wheels having to push the weight of both the car & caravan. Also common problem on Xantia / C5 / 406 etc.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I have contacted VW UK re this problem, surprise surprise they have no record of complaints. If you do have a problem I suggest you contact VW UK on 0800 711 811 (select option 3 from menu) and register the complaint. If enough of us complain then we may get them to take ownership of the problem. If anyone is interested in forming an action group please email me at roger.finch@tesco.net.

Thanks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts