Clutter in transit.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just a quick? question. Been caravanning for 2-3 yrs, have a '90 Sprite Alpine 'C' 4 berth with a Mazda 626 of the same vintage towing. Being ever conscious of the 85% rule and having felt the difference that even light things left in the front and rear seat boxes makes to the stability, I would like to ask how you all cater with the storage and securing of all the extra bits and bobs when on the move. Week-end trips are not too bad, but 2week trips are horrendous. We empty all upper cupboards and all cooking equipment and supplies into fold down plastic boxes. The awning and windbreak lay on the floor over the axle. The empty loo, water and waste containers and trolley are in the washroom which is also over the axle, then the gas cylinders, filled plastic boxes and other odds and ends lay on the floor again over the axle and are tied to a timber brace which is wedged across the 'van at the end of the seat boxes. The whole mess is then covered with a large blanket to make it look 'nice'. Yes, we do use the car boot ... for clothes bags, shoes/welly's, coats, chairs, table for outside use, and all the other things that are considered essential. To put all this lot away and set up takes at least an hour and a half. Tell me please, what is the secret, why can't I just turn up on site, drop the steadies and walk in and make my much deserved cuppa?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
When we first started touring 2 years ago, like you we packed everything very carefully and it took us an age to set up. Then we booked a 3 week holiday and I realised I just couldn't get everything in without using all the cupboard spaces. Now I do, but very carefully. In kitchen area I put crockery and lightweight foods (eg. tea bags in a plastic bag) In the overhead lockers underwear, swimwear, hats, gloves etc. Rear bed locker more food again nothing too heavy - breakfast cereals, cakes, pasta, rice sort of thing and in the front locker shoes, boots, outdoor games just making sure noseweight is right before I set off. Everything else packed in suitcases, in car boot, or like you laid on floor over axle. OK I still have to unpack but it doesn't take as long now. We gradually changed our ways, experimenting little by little and if the van didn't feel right we changed it. Good luck

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
The fact that you are placing all heavy objects as low and as close as possible to the axle is, indeed, to be highly commended but you may be putting yourself at risk in other ways by going as far as you do. If you have so much 'junk' (no wish to be derogatory) in the caravan, one does get the impression that you may be exceeding its maximum permissible weight, not to mention the possible safety hazard of having loose objects fly around inside the caravan in case of an accident or snake. I would therefore suggest that you check the total weight of the caravan in its fully laden condition. You may be in for a nasty shock. To alleviate the situation a bit, I would suggest redistributing the load a bit by putting the heaviest things like the awning in the back of the car, medium loads on the floor of the caravan, being careful to ensure that they are restrained in some form or another (whether the timber brace that you use is sufficient is debatable, though). Gas cylinders, however, should always be stored in the front lockers and under no circumstances inside the caravan. It's quite alright to put light objects such as clothes etc. in the overhead cupboards if that provides a bit of extra space elsewhere. If you really need to take as much, then you may need a bigger car. From my experience, however, one is always tempted to take as much as the space available allows. We started caravanning with a medium sized car and made do with that for all 4 of us including the children's toys etc. Now the children have left home and we've got a relatively big 4x4 but somehow we even manage to fill it, too. Now we've got space inside for 2 bikes, all the home entertainment equipment including sat dish, TV, video recorder, a complete library of videos and books to allow sufficient choice of viewing or reading material in case the weather is bad, a gas grill, microwave oven, not to mention an abundant stock of non-perishable foods that we know we can get cheaper at home.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We solved this by having a roof box. The awning, spare wheel ( untill we changed van and now its fitted underneath the van) coats, shoes, basically items from home that went in bags were placed around the awning and anything else we could cram in. Not exceeding its load weight. Pots and pans were put in a large box placed over the axel but now they go in to fold away baskets in the front side lockers and the kitchen cupboards (near axel) waste containers and aqua roll go in the bathroom. Everything is securely tied down and nothing moves. But we cant put anything in the boot with having 2 dogs. we use it every time we go in the caravan.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts