Coachman Caravan Awning rails

Jun 18, 2006
Visit site
Has anyone experienced problems with Awning Rails opening up/or spreading on Coachman Caravans. We have a Sunn Camp Contempo porch awning and when erected with moderate wind, the rail splayed open and about 1 meter of awning came out and was flapping. We took the awning down straight away, but noticed that the channel had gaped. We were parked next to friends who had the same awning and a swift caravan and they had no problems.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Mena, we've got a Coachman and have not experienced any problem with our awning rail even in bad weather. I would suggest you speak to the dealer.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
The alluminium is termed as "soft" finish. It can be bent around the vans curves by hand. Some times the "soft" extrusion is not of a consistent finish along the length, leading to your problem. If the problems is around or near a curve that to can be a problem. Some manufacturers use an extrusion profile that has a kind of rectangular profile rather than the traditional round profile. If this is the case with high winds or to much tension the problem may go away with a new piece of extrusion fitted.

If the problem is on a straight run ask you supplier to check if the allumnium supplier does the same profile with a "hard" finish that is less malleable.

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
Hi Mena, we have had three coachmans and have never suffered the problem the describe, infact we never had any problem with anything on the vans they are so well built, without any doubt the best built mass produced british van you can buy, we must have had a totall loss of sense when we decided to try a swift van this time it is utter c**p towards the coachman, i would suggest if the van is not new that the rail has been subjected to some damage in the past or if the van is new then as cris states some rail can be a little soft in the working. ask the dealer to change it if the fault is obvious.

I appologise to all the swift owners who may be a little surprised by my comments but due to my experiances with the swift van my comments are valid.

Jun 18, 2006
Visit site
The alluminium is termed as "soft" finish. It can be bent around the vans curves by hand. Some times the "soft" extrusion is not of a consistent finish along the length, leading to your problem. If the problems is around or near a curve that to can be a problem. Some manufacturers use an extrusion profile that has a kind of rectangular profile rather than the traditional round profile. If this is the case with high winds or to much tension the problem may go away with a new piece of extrusion fitted.

If the problem is on a straight run ask you supplier to check if the allumnium supplier does the same profile with a "hard" finish that is less malleable.
Hi Cris,

Thanks for your comments, this is a brand new caravan bought and collected March 2006, all awning rails were replaced in July 06, due to the same problem, by the manufacturer along with about 12 other faults found on the caravan. This time however, Trevor Baxter at Coachman, the warranty Manager say's its not their responsibility. Our dealer has said that they would assist with the costs but we are looking at at least

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts