Coachman caravans

Feb 9, 2009
Visit site
I cannot find the e mail that I received so I have no further info but it stated that a Swedish company who had owned 20% now own 100% leaving just Bailey and Swift as British owned manufacturers

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Thats an interesting fact, but I don't think I will be changing our anytime soon, we are happy with our layout and Coachman have gone away from the side bed.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Yes Kabe have bought them although in the short term it looks unlikely to make any difference as the management will stay the same. Eldiss are ultimately American owned so yes Swift and Bailey are the only British owned brands brands. To put it in perspective though they are each bigger than Coachman and Eldiss put together.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Kabe make some very nice caravans. But they are “ bruisers” when it comes to weight. On their website when you click on language, English doesn’t feature. But there are three different versions of German.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Yes Hymer AG acquired Elddis in 2017, and Thor the US company bought Hymer in 2018. So Americans have a large part of the towbar market, and now to significant European brands, that also encompass Eriba too. Sterling is too cheap!

Reactions: Dustydog
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
There has been increasing movement in acquisitions in many business areas where foreign companies are taking a controlling interest of full ownership of UK companies, often not necessarily market leaders. It provides a conduit for these businesses to access the UK market, and it might help to offset import or export tarrif's which have come in since Brexit.

The timing of Hymer's takeover of Elddis which was almost instantly followed by Thors take over of Hymer suggests it was not a coincidence. There is no way such deals could have been conducted without all parties being aware of each other.

Reactions: Dustydog
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I don’t recall reading any of this in the Caravan press back in 2018. A shame because as the Prof points out someone somewhere knew what was going on in America, Germany and Yorkshire. There again PCv mag is American owned so I guess this is the way we will be going in future(sic).
The iconic Airstream was Thor’s first purchase back in 1980. Seems these guys know what they are doing. I wonder how much the future of caravan builds will change in the UK and European markets?
Now see what you have done. I’ve been surfing? How’s this for a double decker!!
View: https://youtu.be/IVIYYbxd0bc

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Its tempting to regard take overs of established and well loved companies with scepticism especially when it involves foreign businesses. But is always a bad thing?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Can't think of any good examples although I'm sure there must be one or two.
How about Jaguar Land Rover by Tata all without any UK government support.

Or Alsthom who took over the failing GEC traction and heavy power But it goes full circle as GEC took over AEI , who themselves took over British Thomson Houston. But BTH were American owned. What goes around comes around.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
How about Jaguar Land Rover by Tata all without any UK government support.

Or Alsthom who took over the failing GEC traction and heavy power But it goes full circle as GEC took over AEI , who themselves took over British Thomson Houston. But BTH were American owned. What goes around comes around.
JLR isn't in a good position right now and despite all Tata's financial investment, JLR still needs big investment to move forward.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Perhaps this years not the best example, but it would appear that Hymer's take over of Elddis may be bringing some dividends in terms of product quality.

There are marques that might have disapeared without foriegn financial and engineering investement, the likes of Rolls Royce Cars and Bentley.

But it easy to find examples where UK companies have been lost, but not only from foriegn investmsnts but from UK takeovers, ther are obvious examles in the car industry, also many examples in caravanning.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Perhaps this years not the best example, but it would appear that Hymer's take over of Elddis may be bringing some dividends in terms of product quality.

There are marques that might have disapeared without foriegn financial and engineering investement, the likes of Rolls Royce Cars and Bentley.

But it easy to find examples where UK companies have been lost, but not only from foriegn investmsnts but from UK takeovers, ther are obvious examles in the car industry, also many examples in caravanning.
We shouldn’t forget that Britain is one of the leading countries for investing in overseas companies. It’s a two way road.

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I don’t recall reading any of this in the Caravan press back in 2018. A shame because as the Prof points out someone somewhere knew what was going on in America, Germany and Yorkshire. There again PCv mag is American owned so I guess this is the way we will be going in future(sic).
The iconic Airstream was Thor’s first purchase back in 1980. Seems these guys know what they are doing. I wonder how much the future of caravan builds will change in the UK and European markets?
Now see what you have done. I’ve been surfing? How’s this for a double decker!!
View: https://youtu.be/IVIYYbxd0bc
That looks great

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Looking at the changes with Boots and where Boots are today it may be argued the various takeovers were for the best. But there is still a niche for others in these big boys markets.

The Boots Company plc, merged with Alliance UniChem in 2006 to form Alliance Boots.[4] In 2007, Alliance Boots was bought by Kohlberg Kravis Roberts and Stefano Pessina, taking the company private, and moving its headquarters to Switzerland, making it the first-ever FTSE 100 company to be bought by a private equity firm.[5] In 2012, Walgreens bought a 45% stake in Alliance Boots, with the option to buy the rest within three years. It exercised this option in 2014, and as a result Boots became a subsidiary of the new company, Walgreens Boots Alliance, on 31 December 2014.[

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts