Coachman Owners and NCC Approved Service Engineers

Oct 25, 2006
Visit site
As some Forum members are aware, I have recently experienced shall be say 'difficulties' with the quality of an annual service carried out by a Dealership. Currently under investigation by them and e-mail assurances to resolve the issue. We shall see and obviously live in hope. The experience has severely dented my confidence in their abilities. See What Would You Do, under General on the forum. I have received some very useful responses to this for which I thank you.
The van is a Coachman VIP 460/2 2007 and next year sees the final year on its water ingress warranty. The way I feel at the moment I don't want the Dealer anywhere near the van again. Servicing or remedial work. I have always been under the impression that it was imperative to return the van to the Dealership for service to maintain the full cover provided by the manufacturers warranty.
I understand that Swift certainly for their Abbey range allow NCC Approved Mobile Service Engineers to carry out servicing work. Proof etc has to be provided to Swift as I would expect.
Prior to contacting Coachman on the principle, are their any Coachman owners out there with vans still under warranty who have experience or say a 'dispensation' from Coachman not to return the van for service to the Dealership but who are able to use an NCC Approved Mobile Engineer without invalidating the warranty aspect?
Are there any downsides to this arrangement?
Many thanks.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Bernard,

Your water ingress guarantee as you realise rests with the manufacture not the supplier. The manufacture will have given you the terms and conditions of the guarantee, and they are binding as in any contract.

The contract can only be varied by a joint easement which means you have to consult the manufacture, unless the terms and conditions already cover the eventuality.

However I would hope the manufacture will be reasonable about you request, after all there must be owners who purchase a caravan locally then have to move to another part of the country where they may not be a local coachman dealer.

It should be no skin off the manufacturers nose which dealer actually carries out the inspection. So go ahead and ask them.

Jan 17, 2008
Visit site
hi bernard
suggest you phone coachman & ask if any mobile engineers they recomend in your area
its what i done with swift so no problems with warranty work.
hope this helps
george.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Bernard
We had an issue with the shower in our 2011 Pastiche,initially Coachman said we had to return the van to the supplying dealer,but after some e mails to them they asked for photos of the shower and arranged for a repair to be done by a company that came to our house.On the servicing side we were using a mobile engineer on our previous Bailey,and he has assured me he is able to do warranty work on our Coachman.Hope this is of help. Can't understand how anybody could do the damage to your van when replacing your door catch, iI would worry how well they carried out the rest of the service.Good Luck with your complaint.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Neither my 2007 or current 2010 Coachman's have seem the dealer other than to collect and trade in. They have both been serviced at a NCC approved workshop local to me from new. This was agreed by Coachman and the workshop has a good working relationship with the manufacturer. When Damp was discovered at it's recent service they arranged with Coachman for me to return the van to the factory to be repaired and whilst last away when the fridge wouldn't work on gas (bit of a pain when no EHU) I contacted them and they arranged with the factory to sort out the problem at the same time. We dropped the van off with Trevor at the factory on Wednesday and expect to collect it again in about two weeks. When we change either for a 2013 or 14 we will continue to use our current workshop!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts