coachman Pastiche v unicorn cadiz ?

May 9, 2015
Visit site
i am in the market for a bigger caravan and am looking at these two but cant make my mind up, anybody had these two and what did you prefer ?

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
I can't say that we've had either but we did have three Coachman Amara's followed by our current Pegasus GT65. Firstly you need to remember that it's pretty pot luck whether you get a good van or bad one from any manufacturer.

There is no doubt that we considered ourselves to be making a backwards move from a Coachman to a Bailey. Our Coachman's were more solid in feel and looks but having said that each one had issues with anything from component failure to damp.

So far we've only had issues with the Whale heating on the Bailey

We do not like the look of the Bailey from the front and many don't like the GRP lining on the inside. We prefer it for hanging pictures. That said the view from the front window in the Bailey's is much better without the shelf across the front that all other manufacturers have.

Until owning the Bailey I would have said Coachman all the way and I think there's every possibility that I could be tempted by the 2018 VIP range. They are not necessarily quite as solid as they were due to weight saving but are nice vans. I never thought I would own a Bailey and I think I may of had another Coachman if they'd done the right layout, we are quite happy with the Bailey though and would have another if they'd only re introduce locker space in the front of the van.

Good luck.

Feb 28, 2017
Visit site
If you can pull them - coachman all the way....

The build quality and finish on them are excellent.

We wanted a VIP over the clubman SR we ended upo buying, but the weight difference was a little too much for our car....

May 9, 2015
Visit site
hi thanks just looked at the difference in weight 142 kl do you think this would make a big difference towing ? it does seem to be a lot heavier

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
Hi Rob
We purchased a 2015 bailey Unicorn new had a few problems but were sorted by dealer but the build quality after two years things were breaking and trims wearing badly, we try to look after our caravans but we were worried about trade in values when we decide to change so got rid of it Feb this year for a 2015 coachman pastiche,which looked brandnew and is wearing better than the Bailey.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Coachman are generally regarded as a better built caravan, but heavy, although there do seem to be a number of complaints coming up on the internet which makes me wonder if the new management have let things slip a bit. They are very nice caravans though.
Bailey are cheaper and lighter but to me less stylish, but appear to be average in quality. Both use modern construction methods and are well equipped.
Frankly I would go with your heart and buy the one with the style that suits you all other things being equal.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Whilst I'm sure some of their quality issues of the past few years have been rectified, not least their leaky front sunroof's it takes longer to fix a reputation than to break it. I have had second hand experiences of their attitude to customers and indeed approved workshops and did not like what I've heard one jot.

The flip side is of course that quality issues dominate forums and the like for all manufacturers.

The final thing for me is I'm just not keen on any of their ranges of caravans, my big bugbear is lack of bulkheads by the door so that corner of the seats is no good for lounging and looking out of the window.

At the end of the day if you like a van and the condition and price is right then go for it.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
robf1234 said:
hi the coachman i was looking at is now sold so i have moved on to a sterling se ,,or a swift conqueror any opinions on these ?

They are all Swift made caravans and the difference is basically trim levels and the Conquerer will have a bit more kit and weight. The standards should all be the same it is just what you prefer. They are generally average for quality, like all makes they turn out the odd rogue and most are OK but can have the odd fault.
Whatever you buy make sure you get all service records and that it has been serviced to the makers requirements and any guarantee is transferred to you. Swift appear quite strict on the requirements being met so if the seller cannot show this avoid it.

May 9, 2015
Visit site
hi thanks for all the info ,,i just bought a unicorn cadiz ..my last bailey was pretty good never had any issues with it and i love the look of the unicorn,, :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts