Col du Pourtalet

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
When crossing the Pyrenees we often use the excellent Somport Tunnel but have considered the alternative via the Colu du Portalet. The CC list this as 'Not Recommended for Caravans' but a German I met in Spain assured me it was his prefered route. I tow a small (1300 kg) caravan with a Freelander II, so I am not so much concerned about the gradient but more by the suitability of the road; i.e. the width and severity of the bends. Do any of you have experience of this road?

Phil

Feb 3, 2005
Visit site
The Caravan Club always err on the safe side - they have a large number of inexperienced members who look to them for advice, and they cannot be too "adventurous" in the info that they give out.

We went to a site in Switzerland last year, where the cc said it had a difficult approach, and should only be approached from a Westerly direction. Since we were approaching from the East, this would have meant a long detour, so I rang the site to ask whether the approach from the East was difficult for a seven metre van. "Not if you can drive" was the reply. The approach from the East turned out to be fine for anyone with reasonable experience.

With an outfit such as yours I would follow the advice of the German who appears to have done it many times.

Keith

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Keith,

Thank you for your comments. It's pretty much how I feel but in the absence of someone with experience of this road, I may try it solo before attempting it with the van.

Phil.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts