Collapsing bed problem!

Jul 18, 2005
Visit site
We have a Swift challenger 490 (1991). We have only had it about 3 months but have experienced some problems with the front double bed. When assembled, the underneath slats seem to collapse at any given time resulting in my sliding onto the caravan floor. Any suggestions on simple ways to remedy this problem - we are going on holiday for a week soon and I'm not sure that my back will take the strain!!

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Steve

We have an older caravan. We don't have slats but hardboard pieces which go across the space between the two sides and sit under the cushions supported by ledges underneath the cushions. Perhaps you could fix something up like that as it sounds like the slats arn't supporting you and your partner adequately.

Just a suggestion.

lh

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Steve, we have cut 3ply to make solid covers between the side rails under the cushions, makes a big difference with minimal weight gain problems

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Steve

I assume that you are referring to the pull out slats between the two front seats that are connected together by webbing straps, rope ladder style. There should be some sort of retainer to hold them in the fully extended position and keep the webbing taut. If there aren't any then perhaps fitting a block or hook on either runner to hold the slats in the fully extended position will do the trick.

Or are you referring to the lift up slats that the seat base usually rests on?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Steve

This sounds like a problem we had. On our L-layout Landranger the double bed is formed from slats which pull out on and are, thereoretically kept in place by plastic runner on the seat side of the van and on a wooden batten on the non-seat side of the van. Half of the bed is supported on the front-end seat and half by the runners and folding leg formed from a piece of hinged plywood which folded down at the back (ie, furthest front hitch end) of the bed midway between the runners

The slats are hardly wide enough to bridge the gap and when my weight was on it the slats tended to bend down and spring out of the plastic runner resulting a collapse of the bed. Recently this led to the plastic runner, also, breaking as the slats fell down. Whilst I am big bloke the system was not well designed at all.

To give more support to the bed slats I made 2 legs which from plywood. These run for the whole width of the unsupported half of the bed, from front to back. They hinge down and rest on the floor roughly one third from each side of the bed. I, also, replaced the one narrow batten (5 cm wide which was screwed at 90 degrees to the pull out part of the slats to keep them in place with with 2 much wider battens. (10 cm wide)

These modifications prevent the bed slats from bending down and have cured the bed collapse problems for relatively little effort, weight or cost.

I hope this is clear. It is not easy to explain without a diagram. Please feel free to ask if you want to know more.

Hope this helps.

A good night's sleep is not be scoffed at.

Regards

Tim

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Could be the problem is due to the two seat bases being not exactly parallel - usually wider at the end away from the chest of draws. measure carefully, and if this is so, get some wooden moulding in the form of the segment of a circle from DIY and stick along the tracks, thus taking up the gap. may not be necessary all the way along. stain these down with some wood dye and you wond notice them. This will prevent the slats moving sideways enough to fall off the track, which may be the cause of the problem.

If we could include pictures I could show you much more easily than trying to describe it, but I hope you will get the idea.

Then, as others have said, you need to hold the base uder some tension lengthways, so fit a small block at each side, such that the solid part of the slat arrangement fits over them and is prevented from retracting.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts