Collection Day Advice

May 29, 2018
Visit site
So we collect our new van in a week. It's coming from a dealer other than our usual (which is round the corner) and it's a bit of a drive so I want to make sure we don't leave having missed something.

So today's question is:

Is there a checklist of what I should need/expect on collection day eg. whats included etc and what questions should I be asking of the dealer before leaving.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
How long have you got? If the van is still under makers warranty ensure all service records are available. Check all internals and externals fir signs of damage. Have dealer go through workings of equipment vans if necessary video recording. Operate as much as you can to understand how it works and ensure it does work. Don’t be embarrassed Electric cable and step should be included as is water inlet hose. Battery gas and mover are extras but should have been quoted for in your buying price.
Check noseweight prior to departure. Check tyre pressures and wheel torque. The latter after 25 miles too. Check lights before departure.

Reactions: Beachball

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
First of all, do not be rushed by the dealer. Ring them and tell them that you must see everything working, not just assume it does, so you expect water and gas and electric to be ready to use.

Get the salesman or better still the engineer to show you how everything works and explain it all to you and ensure you fully understand things.

They probably will not like having to do all that, but it is your money and as they say "The Customer is Always Right"

Reactions: Dustydog
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
First of all, do not be rushed by the dealer. Ring them and tell them that you must see everything working, not just assume it does, so you expect water and gas and electric to be ready to use.

Get the salesman or better still the engineer to show you how everything works and explain it all to you and ensure you fully understand things.

They probably will not like having to do all that, but it is your money and as they say "The Customer is Always Right"
Very good advice. On our previous caravan dealer rushed us stating that he had to go to a funeral so we obliged.
Strangely when we had an issue unhitching at a nearby site, he was able to drive out and resolve the issue. Within a week we found out why he had rushed us and 11 months later the caravan was rejected.

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
First, check the documents are in order - service reports should include damp report. A written guarantee should be available. If the dealer is any good, they will have a fixed procedure for handover. When you see the caravan it should be connected to all services - Gas, 12v, 230v, water, and grey waste. The heating should be running and demonstrated on both power sources. Everything should be demonstrated. Look for external damage as well as internal. Step, mains lead, steady winder, wheel brace should be provided, as well as a manual and extra manuals for equipment such as the fridge. Do not sign for the caravan until you are sure that everything is as expected. Some dealers say "don't worry if anything is wrong we will sort it out for you later" but this attitude should raise alarm bells as the dealer should assure that everything IS ok. They make a decent profit selling caravans and there is plenty to cover their time.

May 29, 2018
Visit site
Thanks for all your replies - Should have given more info. It's a new van therefore there may be different things I should be looking for

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Hope you enjoy your new van Ste.
During the handover,maybe you could do short video clips on your phone such as workings of equipment then browse through them at your leisure.🤗

Reactions: ProfJohnL
May 24, 2014
Visit site
In all honesty, I find it better to learn from the manual. The last three handovers we have had have been utterly pointless. One rushed, one facetious and rude ( he was very quickly put in his place) and one with less knowldge than a spud.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We have always had a full handover and demonstration but yes you do forget somethings so video the vital bits. Check everything works as far as possible and check windows for scratches, worktops and furniture for them and make sure they are all opening and closing.

May 29, 2018
Visit site
Foolishly this is our 2nd van and as the first came with a starter pack, I wrongly assumed we would have a battery fitted on this one.
Not the case so I’m looking at getting one to fit once I get it home.
As it’s going in a Bailey apparently it needs to be a low profile one.
Anyone got any experience with these?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
If you aren’t putting one in when collecting it from the dealer why not measure the one the dealer will have to fit in order to demonstrate the caravan to you on collection. I think I’d buy mine from the dealer as part of the purchase.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The dealer will have ones to fit, but if you are looking to go elsewhere measure the space provided and make sure you get the size of the battery before buying.

May 29, 2018
Visit site
Dealer can fit one (at a price) however it is a price that’s about £15 less than the local dealer across the road from us. So I’m buying it when I go to pick up and they’ve said the guys will fit it during the demo.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
If no battery, it makes you wonder if they did a proper PDI on the caravan before delivery? Granted they could have used one of their own batteries, but this should have been noted somewhere? Did they pressure check the gas system?

Last edited:
May 29, 2018
Visit site
I don’t think so.

Back story: we literally live walking distance from a large reputable dealer (bought our first van from them and still get all our accessories)

When our new van was decided on, we went to them but they had already sold all their 2021 stock.

So we can’t buy from them and are having to go further afield. Shame really and I’m hoping that as a valued previous customer, they may agree to do any Bailey warranty work (hopefully won’t be any though) because it’s a bit of a drive back to the place we are getting it from.

However, looks like their batteries are a bit dearer than the one I am having fitted at the dealer over 100 miles away

May 29, 2018
Visit site
If no battery, it makes you wonder if they did a properr PDI on the caravan before delivery? Granted they could have used one of theri own batteries, but this should have been noted somewhere? Did they pressure check the gas system?
Not picked it up yet. Collection day is Wednesday. I have a big checklist

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If no battery, it makes you wonder if they did a proper PDI on the caravan before delivery? Granted they could have used one of their own batteries, but this should have been noted somewhere? Did they pressure check the gas system?

A Pre Delivery Inspection does NOT require a gas pressure test.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
A Pre Delivery Inspection does NOT require a gas pressure test.
Accepted, but they should still be checking the gas system. Can't understand why a pressure test is not done taking into consideration the number of times I have read about people with issues with the gas on a brand new caravan?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Accepted, but they should still be checking the gas system. Can't understand why a pressure test is not done taking into consideration the number of times I have read about people with issues with the gas on a brand new caravan?
You can check the functioning of the gas appliances without conducting a pressure test. Gas will flow unless there's a mega leak somewhere.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Damian, Looking at the PDI tests and servicing sheets my engineer and indeed the original supplier did and does do a “Gas Leak Test”. In your words probably not a gas pressure test? Is there a real difference?

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Damian, Looking at the PDI tests and servicing sheets my engineer and indeed the original supplier did and does do a “Gas Leak Test”. In your words probably not a gas pressure test? Is there a real difference?

Lets face it, a PDI is a rip off, pure and simple.

The van should leave the factory in pristine condition with all the necessary checks already done, not left up to a dealer who is not really concerned other than getting top dollar for the van and off his forecourt.

A gas leak test would involve connecting a manometer to the system and seeing what happens over a period of time. The problem is that there is not a suitable test nipple fitted to any caravan !!!

What a gas leak test involves can be simple as spraying gas leak fluid on suspect joints.

A gas pressure test involves connecting a pump to the test point and pressurising the pipework up to the appliance controls with 120Mb.

I do know that at least one of the main caravan builders do NOT pressure test the system in accordance with the regs relating to new installations, they just connect a gas cylinder to the van and check to see if the gas appliances light or not,,,,and that is IT !!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts