come on give me some names

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
Hi,

Going to france for the first time august 31st for 2 weeks can you give me some names of fantastic sites for us to look at and consider.

There will be 2 thirty something adults and two 14 year olds we needs loads to do places to visit, things to do, nice resturants, wine tasting.

Not bothered about travelling distances plenty of time to get there also which is the best crossing from and to and when to cross early day, mid day, or late.

Come on the more the merrier waited ages to do this I need names, addresses, regions.

Come on people inform me,

M.H.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Ferry crossings are cheapest, by far, from Dover/Calais or Dover/Boulogne - but if you live in the West Country then the sailings from Portsmouth or Plymouth might suit you better. Best time depends again on where you live - if you've a long journey to get to the port, or if you only live half an hour away. We live in North Yorkshire and always leave work early on a Friday afternoon and catch a late evening ferry, and so we've an early start the following morning.

Regions depends on what you like - beaches, best for 14 year olds is probably the Vendee, but it's not a region I've visited. The Med has to be next best, but the sea is less wild and 14 years old tend to love surfing, etc. If you like good scenery then anywhere south of Burgundy is lovely - almost all the way across the southern half of France. You've got the Alps, Provence, the Camargue, the Ardeche, the Cevennes, the Auvergne, the Landes, and the Basque country. Where is best for you depends on what you like - every one contains loads of places to visit, things to do, nice restaurants, wine tasting!

As you're going after the end of August have a look at www.campingcheque.co.uk for ideas of sites. It has a map and you can look at all the sites quickly and have some idea of what might suit you. A pitch for two adults would cost

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
Ferry crossings are cheapest, by far, from Dover/Calais or Dover/Boulogne - but if you live in the West Country then the sailings from Portsmouth or Plymouth might suit you better. Best time depends again on where you live - if you've a long journey to get to the port, or if you only live half an hour away. We live in North Yorkshire and always leave work early on a Friday afternoon and catch a late evening ferry, and so we've an early start the following morning.

Regions depends on what you like - beaches, best for 14 year olds is probably the Vendee, but it's not a region I've visited. The Med has to be next best, but the sea is less wild and 14 years old tend to love surfing, etc. If you like good scenery then anywhere south of Burgundy is lovely - almost all the way across the southern half of France. You've got the Alps, Provence, the Camargue, the Ardeche, the Cevennes, the Auvergne, the Landes, and the Basque country. Where is best for you depends on what you like - every one contains loads of places to visit, things to do, nice restaurants, wine tasting!

As you're going after the end of August have a look at www.campingcheque.co.uk for ideas of sites. It has a map and you can look at all the sites quickly and have some idea of what might suit you. A pitch for two adults would cost

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
It takes us longer than 5 hours to get to Dover. We set off around 3.30 - 4.00 and book our ferry for 10.30 - sometimes we're put on an earlier one if we arrive early, but we have been as late as 1.30 when there was a bad accident. However, this is one of the advantages, to us, of going via Calais because if you miss one ferry there's another along quite quickly.

We do stay on an Aire - and have done for years - either the Aire de la Baie de Somme which is about an hour from Calais on the autoroute A16 going west, or the Aire des Deux Caps near to Boulogne, or there are a couple of aires which are OK on the A26 going south - one near Aire sur La Lys. All these have been fine. We put EVERYTHING of value away where it can't be found - and only you know your caravan well enough to decide where - and make sure there are other caravanners around. However I know there are others on here who don't choose to stay on aires.

If this is your first time in France then I would probably say stay in Dover and cross early morning - that way your first drive is in daylight. You can then have a look at the facilities available in the Aires and perhaps be more confident about staying on one next time.

Have you decided where you're heading yet? It's always a difficult choice because most of France is so lovely. The only bit I really don't enjoy travelling through is the north-eastern bit from Calais to Paris which is why we now tend to go the other way when we're going south - A16 to Abbeville, then the A28 (free) to Rouen, and N154 south. We also choose to use the N roads, usually, rather than the toll autoroutes, because tolls can now add up to quite an amount, and because if you use N roads you can also take advantage of cheaper petrol at supermarkets, rather than pay 'service station' prices on the autoroute.

G

If your just going for two weeks then the cote d'opal has some lovely beaches and little seaside towns, Bien Assie is great for fourteen year olds, another advantage your on the site half hour after crossing.

Normandie, couple of Castels sites there and is nice around the calvados area inland and beaches, it will take you around five hours from Calais, Britany and the Vendee? too far for a couple of weeks.

Mar 17, 2005
Visit site
2 adults 2 teens - try Royan area - beaches, restaurants, a bit of life, some definate touristy bits, some not, good introduction to France without being hard work

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Have alook on www.les-castels.com - click the union jack (upper right) to get the english version. Quality sites throughout France!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts