Common charging cable for electronic devices.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Quite a while back the EU decided that a common charging cable design was required from December 2024. This was to reduce electrical waste. Britain decided at the time not to follow suit but is now going into a consultation mode.

Isn’t this closing the stable door when the horse has bolted as three devices bought since June have either included a USB-C cable, or required us to provide one. I dare say there’s existing stock that will have older type charging cables but it’s clear that the majority in future will be USB-C. I like the USB-C as just like Apple connectors it can be inserted any way and even in semi gloom it’s easy to insert it.

Time to wake up and smell the coffee methinks.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I do not know what the legal obligations are, but I thought USB C had become the norm. I think Android were a bit ahead with this.

I am now down to USB C, Micro USB, Lightning, and two sizes of jack plugs.

I do like standardisation, but it can stiffle inovation. Even my newish car. Ones with USB A and C.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I do not know what the legal obligations are, but I thought USB C had become the norm. I think Android were a bit ahead with this.

I am now down to USB C, Micro USB, Lightning, and two sizes of jack plugs.

I do like standardisation, but it can stiffle inovation. Even my newish car. Ones with USB A and C.

John
USB-C has become the norm due to the EU requirement but in Britain the last government decided not to mandate it. Clearly a failure to face up to reality that we are a small market compared to our near neighbours and businesses would supply their products to us irrespective. So now I’ve got one charging cable ( not data) with USB, USB- C and Lightning outputs. Its input is USB-A connector. The other N cables sit in a cupboard replicating the snakes wedding.

Last edited:

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
I'm still getting devices to test which use various versions of all the currently available USB connector standards. Of course they all come from the Middle Kingdom and I reckon that even in 2025 they'll still be coming like that.

I've also got various converters and cables and it's interesting to note that despite USB C connectors supposedly being able to plug in either way around some cables and converters don't work correctly. You can physically plug them in either way around but they don't have the full functionality. Either won't charge or won't support the speed rating.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts