Compass Kensington electrics query

Jul 1, 2017
Visit site
Hello everyone.
I wonder can I pick your brains?
I've recently picked up a Compass Kensington mainly to see if I can take to caravanning.

What should run on a well-charged van battery? Only the two roof lights and the one over the kitchen area seem to work, I plugged a radio into a few of the sockets today but it wouldn't work in any of them.

Is there a master switch that I've overlooked? I've tried the bank of switches situated in the wardrobe under the flap; whether in the up or down position there's no power to the sockets.

I'd be grateful for any advice.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Cyfo

When you say you have plugged a radio into some of the sockets, but it doesn't work, Ill assume you are referring to the 230V type sockets ( 3pin like at home), in which case I'm not surprised.

Your caravan has two electrical systems, Some lights need 12V and others and the power sockets need normal 230V ac mains.You wont get mains 230V unless you have the Electric Hook Up cable.(EHU) connected between the caravan and a suitable mains supply. On caravan sites you will need the blue CEE form connectors, but you can get an adaptor to allow you to use the mains with an ordinary domestic 13A square pin socket

Jul 1, 2017
Visit site
Hello ProfJohnL.
Thanks for your prompt response by which I'm greatly reassured.
I suppose the only real acid-test is to take it away and give it a whirl.
Thanks again,
Cyffo.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello again Cyffo.

I'll make some assumption here based on my experience and what you have so far told us...

Your are new to caravanning,
You have a second hand caravan purchased privately,
You don't have the caravan's or appliance's hand books.
You are not a gas or electrical engineer or technician.

Whilst going away and trying it for real, before having checked all systems out will certainly be adventurous, is it brave? I don't think so. You will have spent a not inconsiderable amount of money on your caravan, you will have chosen it on the basis of what it promises to provide, so just how disappointed will you be if when you get to your destination you find you can't make it work.

You're left with a problem, because you don't have access to the feature you want, your away from home, so your normal support systems aren't available. Depending on what it is, it might put you off caravanning!

I suggest if you have the caravan at home try everything out and make sure you understand it. And it works. Use the Internet to obtain the missing handbooks. Keep your first trip quite local so you can if necessary *** home.

Perhaps if you have friends or relatives who caravan, arrange your first away trip with them. Caravanners are generally a friendly bunch, and if you are having difficulties, you my find them willing to help you.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I have to agree that if the caravan is at home connect it up to the mains and check everything works then. Most dealers will be able to let you have a short length of cable with a 13 amp plug one end and a caravan socket on the other for a few pounds or you will probably find it on Amazon.

Jul 1, 2017
Visit site
I'm in no rush to travel any distance, so plugging in somewhere locally to test the van makes perfect sense.
Thanks for your excellent advice and suggestions.
Cyffo.

Jun 1, 2012
Visit site
And before you switch on the electric water heater, make sure your water system is filled. Expensive mistake. I always remove the spur fuse from the control switch if not watered up to be sure. Once made a £120 error.

Enjoy your caravanning, and if unsure, ask. We all want to pass on our knowledge.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts