Competition: what do they need to know my age for?

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Just thought I would enter the PC competition for the sunshade. Started to fill in the mandatory fields: email address? OK. Name? OK; Address? well they need to know where to deliver it to. Then mobile phone number? not happy about that and I never turn it on; then gender? and age? What do they need to know my age and gender for. All are mandatory fields. Sorry Nigel you can stick the sunshade where the sun don't shine, retracted or fully extended. I fail to see why you need so many personal details for a competition. But of course its not really a competition to maintain the loyalty of folks who buy the mag is it? No it is the usual "send me your details and then we can inundate you with adverts suitably targetted to a person of your age and gender" rubbish. As I said, where the sun don't shine. Now uncharacteristically cross.
smiley-yell.gif

mel

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Mel, its ok,l its so they can send you lots of useful information on funeral plans, incontinence pads, riser recliner chairs and beds, stairlifts etc,,,,,,,,,you know,all the things you KNOW you will need in the twilight years...................
smiley-tongue-out.gif

If its not for that reason, maybe Nigel is looking for a new "personal" assistant????????

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Thanks, thats cheered me up no end.
smiley-undecided.gif
. When they send me the ad for the one way tickert to Switzerland, I'll know that I'm in trouble.
mel

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
Before I retired I worked in a library and there was people there sat all day with the elect/register righting down peoples details that he would sell to advertising companies.
Well that is what they told me...

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Mel said:
Just thought I would enter the PC competition for the sunshade. Started to fill in the mandatory fields: email address? OK. Name? OK; Address? well they need to know where to deliver it to. Then mobile phone number? not happy about that and I never turn it on; then gender? and age? What do they need to know my age and gender for. All are mandatory fields. Sorry Nigel you can stick the sunshade where the sun don't shine, retracted or fully extended. I fail to see why you need so many personal details for a competition. But of course its not really a competition to maintain the loyalty of folks who buy the mag is it? No it is the usual "send me your details and then we can inundate you with adverts suitably targetted to a person of your age and gender" rubbish. As I said, where the sun don't shine. Now uncharacteristically cross.
smiley-yell.gif

mel

Well said Mel.
smiley-laughing.gif

I'm with the TPS but for some strange reasons, the calls keep filtering through, both to the landline and my mobile. I had one bloke ring the other week and he said :

'Ms H, I want to know who supplies your gas and electricity' - that's exactly what he said. The cheeky sod. He got it both barrels.

On Friday night, my stalker phoned my mobile. Apparently, I'd been 'selected' to receive 60% off downpipes and guttering. Oh, how fabulous, my dream had come true. If only the dozy bint on the phone had known that it was a fatal mistake to call me 'love' once, let alone 20 times. - She got it too I'm afraid.
smiley-yell.gif

These 'competitions' are simply tools for data gathering purposes.
smiley-cool.gif

Lisa

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I to have signed up to the Telephone Preference Service (TPS).

Telephone Sales companies are supposed to check the TPS register and not call numbers on the register. Unfortunately that only applies to UK companies, so the overseas companies continue to ring.

The other ploy is they claim not to be selling, thus they are not bound by the TPS regulations - Ha Ha

The other really annoying one is the silent calls- I believe they are automated calling systems, and they call several lines at the same time, and if you are the first to answer you get put through to the sales operative, and all the other calls are dropped.

Now there are some systems that help you to get round these calls. One was demonstrated on Dragons Den, but there are several systems now available do a google search using
Call blocker
True call

For good advice take a look at;
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/no-more-junk

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
please dont have a go at the poor unfortunate soul who is making the call. They are probably sat in call centre on minimum wage just trying to earn a living and living of the state.
What you dont realise is that giving the caller a gob full just means that they do pass on your details to other 3rd party MARKETING companies to ensure that your life is hell.
Most call centres supply services for many different companies so information is very easily passed around. Revenge is sweet as they say.
Ask them politely to remove your number from the database and they will.
Working in a call centre is possibly one of the most underpaid , unpleasant experiences you could have.
Be polite, it goes a long way.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
I agree Phil. I am always polite to folks in Call Centres, and would never tell them to stick a sun shade where the sun don't shine. Editors of magazines, where grabbing details for advertising is masquerading as a competition, is another matter.
mel

TRENDING THREADS